Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WebRoot Security Anyway Effectiveness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

I purchased a new HP laptop running Windows 8.1 with a fourth generation I7 processor and installed Webroot a few with months ago.  I heard that not only is it fast but it's was very effective at catching malware including backdoor and rootkits.  I decided to try Webroot due to it's speed capability and effectiveness at catching rootkits and backtdoor infections.  My previous laptop ran a I3 processor and Nortons NIS for 3 years.

I have always run Spywareblaster, SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes + virus checker scans frequently.  Malwarebytes is the pro version. My last 3 year old laptop ran the same protection with Norton and never got hit with the same surfing habits.

I have lots of Spyware and all the theft email on my new machine that keep reappearing.  My gut feel is that Webroot is pure junk and NIS is light years ahead of it.  Should I dump Webroot?

I will be back soon to am I infected for the rest.

Thanks!

Edited to add additional details.

Edited by Justa, 11 December 2013 - 10:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

WebRoot has been around for a long time and they are a trustworthy vendor with a very good reputation over the years.

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. I have read from other users that Symantec has improved newer versions (Norton 360) while others say differently. However, Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind which require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus. To be fair, other vendors are also using removal tools for the same reason. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative.

Norton Internet Security is a suite which means it includes additional features, in addition to anti-virus protection. Some of those extra features will also consume resources and affect performance. Symantec Endpoint Protection includes many of the same features but is intended for small businesses with several computers and servers.

Why not use Windows Defender on Windows 8 which integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection? Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same virus definition updates.

* Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs
* Windows 8: new and improved security features
* Windows 8 Security: Defender Antivirus
* Windows Defender and Windows SmartScreen

Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If you want to use Windows 8 Defender you need to completely uninstall the third-party anti-virus and activate it.

If you want to use another anti-virus it is recommended to disable Windows 8 Defender before installing a different antivirus software.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Quietman,

You are the best, spot on as usual through all the years!  Thanks for the quick response, I will go through the links you have attached very carefully..  I totally missed the change to add virus protection to Defender.  I know what to look at now.

Thanks!!

Edited by Justa, 12 December 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif