Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Set up - Modem/Router/Wireless - No Desktop/2 Laptops Only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jatl

jatl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

I currently have a desktop computer that I will be eliminating. My internet provider is AT&T & I have DSL service, both of which are connected to the desktop. I use a standard modem for the internet (AT&T Standard Modem)  and an Netgear router for wireless. 

What remains are 2 laptops. A Dell and a Mac.  Both wireless compatible. 

What is the best way to set up internet and wireless without using the desktop? I only will be utilizing the 2 laptops. I dont want to have acutal "wires" connected to either laptop. Is this possible? In otherwords, I want to utilize both laptops without having one stuck in a room attached to modem/router by an actual wire.   Are there certain routers and or modems that I can purchase to be able to do this?

Thank you for your feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

just hook your net gear into the dsl, setup your wireless and link up your two laptops.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Any time you are making changes to the router do it with a wire hooked up. Just in case you make a change and lose wireless. Otherwise Roodo said it. I'd set up the wireless first without encryption just to make sure it all works then add it in. You want WPA2. Change the SSID(name of your network) to something other than what is there by default. Give it a good password, NOT 123456 or password lol.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

We just recently changed our network from WEP to WPA2 security.  When you sign up with an Internet Service Provider, they typically give you a router with default settings of WEP security.  WEP security is an old encryption method and very easy to breach.  You will want to change your security to WPA2, which has stronger encryption and re-encrypts every hour.  This makes it difficult for cybercriminals to hack into your network.

The first thing you will want to do is access your router/modem.  Browse to http://192.168.1.1

Now create a login ID and password.  (This is not to be confused with the name of your network and password to join it.)

Now, call your Internet Service Provider and have them walk you through changing the encryption to WPA2.  Once this is done,  all of your wifi devices will be kicked off the network.  To reconnect a PC/Mac, just "join" the network and enter in the new password that you created for the network's router/modem.  (This is not your login ID/password to your router/modem.)

If you have trouble reconnecting your devices to the WPA2 network, just call GeekSquad or AppleCare or whomever supports you and they will walk you through it.  Once the settings have been changed, if you lose power, when power comes back on the setting will still be there.  Again, if you decide to power down your router/modem, when you power it back up the settings will remain.  It is only when you use a paperclip to reset the router/modem that the settings will default back to the factory settings (and WEP).

You need to be aware that cybercrooks no longer have to be near your router to attempt to hack in.  They have large antenna which can be ten to twenty miles from you that can pick up the signal of your network.  By the way, it is not a good idea to turn off the broadcast of the name of your network.  Cybercrooks can still see that a network is there and when they see you have hidden the name from broadcast, they will think that there is something valuable on your network.

There is a second advantage to changing from WEP to WPA2.  WEP limits the wifi bandwidth of your network.   WPA2 does not.  When we had WEP, our typical download/upload wifi speeds were 23/20 mbps.  They are now 48/43 mbps.

Good look and Happy Holidays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users