Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Ipconfig

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

I have been having all kinds of problems getting my desktop and laptop to network. I use Win XP home on both have a satellite broadband connection and a Netgear router.
The frustrating part is it will work sometimes for no apparent reason and then stop recognizing each other for no reason also. Sometimes one will see the files on the other and other times the other one will, and sometimes neither will. It seems to have no rhyme or reason.
I just ran ipconfig on my desktop and it seems to operate properly, but the laptop says it is not recognized as a program or batch file, so I can't run a release or renew on it.
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm sure if I wait awhile it'll change but I can't figure out why or how to make it.
I unchecked everything in both my startup menus in msconfig yesterday, including disabling the firewall and AVG. Lo and behold when I rebooted both computers it worked just fine, so I thought I'd start adding things back one at a time and see what made it not work. I first added AVG to both rebooted and it didn't work again, so I disabled both again thinking I had it solved and would just use a different virus scanner but when I rebooted and it didn't work again. I am going nutz. Any ideas.

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum, added topic description ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 May 2006 - 11:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

Reenable your firewall and av aps. You are playing Russian Roulette if you are on the internet without them operating.

Use the network connection wizard on both computers (or the wireless network setup wizard - whichever applies).

If you are using a wireless router and wireless connections on your computers the signal may be weak, configured improperly or encountering interference. Not all wireless routers and cards are created equally, and not all can handle various kinds of obstructions to their signals, outside interference or transmissions on their frequencies (including wireless phones you or your neighbors may be using).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users