Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot. No beeps. Screen blank.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 samthedagger

samthedagger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

EDIT: My issue has been fixed. Thank you, Roodo!

Last night I shut down my computer properly. It was running fine. I have never had any major hardware issues with this machine before. The only thing I have ever replaced since putting the machine together in May 2012 is the PS, as the one I originally had for the system was noisy and sometimes faulty (i.e. it wouldn't receive power, which was usually fixed by disconnecting and re-connecting the PS after 10 minutes). I replaced the PS in December 2012, and I have not experienced any noticeable hardware issues since then. Nor have I ever had to reinstall Windows 7 since I bought the parts back in May 2012 (some second-hand from my brother who had owned them for about a year beforehand) that required maintenance.

Today I attempted to turn it on and... nothing. The CPU, box, and GPU fans are all running, but the screen is blank and I don't hear a beep. The power supply seems to be working. The PS fan spins up at start and idles shortly thereafter, which is not unusual as it is a power-smart fan which only spins when the cpu reaches a certain temperature. The MB lights up in all the right places. My boot drive is a SSD so it doesn't have a tell-tale spin up to see if it is working properly. Here is a list of my hardware: 

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600 (second-hand; not over-clocked)

MB: ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard (second-hand)

PS: CORSAIR GS series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready (bought new in December 2012, under warranty)

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA106A (second-hand)

GPU: Ati Radeon Hd 6770 1Gb Ddr5 2Dvi/Hdmi/Displayport Pci-Express Video Card (bought new in May 2012, lifetime warranty)

Primary Boot Drive: OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC (bought new in May 2012, under warranty)

Secondary Storage Drive: really old 200 GB 7200 rpm seagate drive the details of which I don't even remember

MB user manual can be found here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Maximus_Formula/e3471_maximus_formula.pdf

What I have done so far

Disconnect power supply for 10 minutes to allow capacitors to discharge. No change.

Disconnect and reconnect each device on the motherboard. No change.

Reset the BIOS manually via the reset button on the MB. No change.

I don't have much in the way of replacement parts compatible with this MB to test things. The only thing I could do is change the boot drive. I can disconnect the SSD and hook up my storage HDD, although the HDD does not have an OS installed.

What I suspect the problem to be

Based on symptoms and previous experience (I have been building my own desktop computers since 1997), my primary suspect is the motherboard. I don't have a second MB to connect all this stuff to of course to test that.

After that... perhaps the SSD? I know OCZ drives have sort of a nasty reputation. Luckily it is still under warranty and I have everything backed up on a USB drive.

After that... maybe the PS? Although everything looks to be working here perhaps one of the power cords is not functioning properly? Or something else?

This one really has me stumped, especially considering the abrupt nature of the problem and the system's history of virtually fault-free performance over the last year. I haven't been getting blue screens or memory dump issues so I doubt the RAM is to blame. Even so, I have four sticks. If one or two or three all suddenly went faulty perhaps then the system should still boot on the 1 GB it has remaining I believe. Honestly this computer has been quite reliable up until today. I haven't had any issues with the GPU, and even if I did, the onboard GPU should still kick in to at least let me boot up. Fans are all working. So... I guess that leaves the MB, boot drive, or PS.

If any other information is needed, I will do my best or provide. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I thank you for taking the time to read this and for any responses you have to offer. I have really valued the BC community for hardware and software assistance over the years. You guys are awesome for the service you provide to many of us computer-building and tinkering enthusiasts over the years.

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2013 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

so did you pull the sticks and try one at a time. Can you borrow a video card to swap out.

#3 samthedagger

samthedagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

so did you pull the sticks and try one at a time. Can you borrow a video card to swap out.

I have not done this, although I should have. Since I am in the process of disassembling the computer and and blowing it out (it has been about three months since I dusted it out), I will try one stick of memory at a time next to see if I get anything. As for the video card, the only one I have to swap out is a really old Radeon HD 2400 Pro. I haven't used it in ages so I'm not even sure if it still works, but I will give it a shot. I also remembered that since this is a gaming MB, it doesn't seem to have a built-in GPU, so my old HD 2400 is pretty much my only shot.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will get back in a couple hours or so and report.

#4 samthedagger

samthedagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

Well, Roodo, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. It seems one of my sticks of RAM is somehow to blame. I tried many different permutations of slotting my 4 sticks and whenever I include a certain one, my computer won't boot. I'll have to check and see if it is still under warranty, but for now, I am up and running minus 1 GB of RAM. Whenever I've had RAM go bad in the past I've usually just experienced performance issue and blue screens, so this was a new one for me. This is actually probably the best-case scenario for me too, since I was planning to upgrade the RAM on this board soon anyway. Thank you again for the suggestion!

Edited by samthedagger, 12 December 2013 - 01:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users