Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hitmanpro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

HI,I downloaded hitmanpro and started scan which has now got about over 3hrs running time on it is this normal,i did not want to stop it should take this long to do a scan,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

HI,I just got the scan finished took 4hrs+ to finish found no problems.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

That length of time is not unusual. I have seen it take much longer.

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS)[/color][/url].
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

HI,quiteman7, I just reran ESET this morning and it took about 5hrs,but when it was done it did not show any threats at all and it was scanned from the desktop so there was nothing else running at the time.

The HDD has 93GB used on the HDD i usually do my scans after i go to bed watching this scan would be like watching paint dry.

Now may be i can use my mouse all the time as it was freezing up quite a bit before the scans.

I am doing the same on my other PC will keep fingers crossed and see if all of this works now,thanks for the info.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

You're welcome and good luck.

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

HI,quiteman7,Well the last infection felt so good i thought i needed another lesson and i got one i used ESET to remove these threats this scan took 5hrs to

run,found 42 threats saved same clipboard,hitmanpro worked good to i have used ESET before quite awhile ago thou.

I was checking on youtube infections and ran across a video explaining how you can get infected and it said that one of the things that pop up is asking you

update your flash player which if i understood him right you do not need to is this right.

I know people on these forums may not be able to recommend one security program over another but is the programs in the download area have enough safety that i can get one that i can afford that will protect the 2 PC'S we have, right at the start of any web site we go to or i am i a delusional in my thinking

and asking for something that may not exist,thanks

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

All the programs hosted here in the BleepingComputer Downloads area are perfectly safe.

BleepingComputer Security Downloads

I was checking on youtube infections and ran across a video explaining how you can get infected and it said that one of the things that pop up is asking you update your flash player which if i understood him right you do not need to is this right.

You may want to read these topics.
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
About those Toolbars and Add-ons which change your browser settings - Removal Tips
Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users