Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Updating Windows on New ASUS VivoBook S500CA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GPyrenees

GPyrenees

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer. You've helped me effectively in the past and I come to you again in this time of need!

Last week I replaced my fried HP laptop with something new: an ASUS Windows 8 Ultrabook with a touchscreen (S500CA). After starting the machine and setting up Windows 8, I downloaded Firefox and noticed that it was running a little choppy. Shortly after I was prompted to install 80-something important updates for Windows. I tried to, but as the bar moved along to indicate progress the percentage of the procedure that was completed never changed from 0%.

I was then informed that Windows had encountered a problem and had to shut down. When it restarted, the opening ASUS screen read something like "attempting to repair" and remained that way for a while. Once it finished it said nothing could be done and gave me the options to troubleshoot (i.e. do the same thing again) or shut the notebook down.

After checking online to see if I could enter Windows 8 in safe mode, I read something about pressing F9 after booting to bring up some new options. I chose "Refresh" from those options and my apps were removed but my files preserved. Everything once again became accessible and I've been using the notebook for about 24 hours since without any problems. Firefox is even much smoother than before.

Now here's my dilemma: I'm once again being prompted to install 83 important updates from Windows. I have iTunes and Microsoft Word and all my things already set up and I really don't want them to be removed again. Am I taking a risk by attempting to update again? Is there anything I can do to mitigate that risk?

Thanks guys.

GP

GP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Try installing the updates in small batches, say 5 or 6 at a time, then if you do get a failure you should be able to go back to a previous restore point instead of having to refresh.

#3 GPyrenees

GPyrenees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Try installing the updates in small batches, say 5 or 6 at a time, then if you do get a failure you should be able to go back to a previous restore point instead of having to refresh.

That's a good idea, thank you.

GP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users