Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to backup Licensed software in case of HDD crash?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

I have a bunch of purchased programs online like Fruity Loops, Pro Tools, Mixcraft, Microsoft Office, etc. Like microsoft, it says you can only use for one PC in the household. If I were to get a crash on my HDD, is there a way to protect these softwares and transfer them to my new pc or laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

The one way I know of is to back up the Windows drive, Clone it or make an image of it. Since windows programs with very few exceptions can not be copied You need to back up the entire Windows Drive.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

If these are purchased downloaded programs, then you either set up an account or registered them with the vendor either when you bought them or installed them. Most vendors will allow you to re-install by downloading again on the same account. The only time I have run into a problem with this is when the vendor brought out a major new version between my original download and my system failure, but they did at least let me have it for the 'upgrade' price !

So, make sure you have a copy of the registration details for all this software.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi, Chris

I do backup my purchases, However My preferred system is still to backup windows. Installing some of the Video programs I own is time consuming. Throw in the Windows Updates, and all the other software updates.....................

Then add in the programs that other programs depend on......................

The bigger flaw in depending on re-downloading and activating is what do You do when the Vendor is out of Business? Give up on a program you use and like? Or as You say Buy it again at a upgrade price and then find out that it has changed and You dislike some of the changes.

That explains why I have DVDs with the downloaded programs and the Activating key's email as well as a Loose-leaf binder with printed copies of the activation code.

As a point of information, Creating the backup on this computer takes less than two hours. I use two external backup drives. I alternate between the drives and I backup when I am not needing the computer. Then I can copy a backup to a NAS that has mirrored drives after any major changes. Such as if I were getting ready to upgrade to Windows 8.1 I would do a backup beforehand.

Cheers

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the tips

The one way I know of is to back up the Windows drive, Clone it or make an image of it.

How do I back up the windows drive? Do I just get a external drive and simply copy the whole drive to it? And will some of the programs like FL studio's or something behave normally  on the next pc?

Edited by Tragedy1191, 12 December 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

You could try Chris's suggestion and get the installers and Keys now and save them elsewhere.

Or If You are running Windows 7 or 8 follow these tutorials for example.

How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Introduction

Windows 7 and Windows 8 include the ability to create a system image that can be used to restore your computer's hard drives back to the exact state they were in when you created the backup.

How to use System Image Recovery in the Windows 7 and Windows 8 Recovery Environment

In the event that you are unable to start Windows or wish to restore your hard drives to a previous backup you can use the System Image Recovery program from the Windows 7 or Windows 8 Recovery Environment. This process will overwrite the entire contents of your hard drives with the contents of a previously created system image

If You have a different Windows then something else will have to be used.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users