Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is ON Home Network, But Can't 'SEE' Network Printer or Other PC!?!?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deandome

deandome

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

This has so many variables (hardware/windows/printer software/network stuff), I don't know where to go for help.  Got an Asus G74 laptop, Dell Studio 8100 desktop (both w/i7 chips & running Win7 Home Premium x64) & an Epson Artisan 837 printer.  All run on the same home router/network, let's call it 'Nancy'.  All have happily lived & played well together for about 2 years now...until last night.

I go to print from the Asus (first time in about a week, when it ran fine), and it doesn't print.  When you look at 'Printers & Devices', it shows that printer as "Not Connected".  The internet is fine..I'm on 'Nancy', the signal is great,.but when I run the network/device Troubleshooter, it SAYS it found & fixed a problem with an access point/network, and when that same page now says the printer is 'Ready' w/the green checkmark...but when you try to print anything, it loops into the same problem.

So I uninstall & reinstall ALL the Epson software/drivers....and now, when you're setting it up, when it gets to the point where it searches for a printer, it CANNOT FIND one! And it's not just Epson's search function that's blind. the Windows "Search for New Printer" thing can't see it, either.   Meanwhile, the printer & the Dell are both turned on & perfectly connected to Nancy & each other, and when you 'Search for New Printer' on the Dell, the Epson shows up immediately, like it should.

One last clue; both computers used to be on a Homegroup until I installed a new hard drive in the Asus a few months ago (haven't bothered to redo it yet).  Figuring it might help with the printer issue, I tried to do so last night...from BOTH directions...with no luck.  I start w/the Dell, get the password & go to the Asus; it doesn't ask if I want to JOIN a homegroup, it asks me to set one up.  Conversely, if I disconnect the Dell from it's homework & then create one on the Asus, the Dell now asks me to create one, as it cannot see the Asus.

Bottom line, I know this is an issue w/the Asus, but the Homegroup issue has me thinking it's not a printer problem, which kind of points to a network issue...right?  But how could the Asus clearly show that it's connected to the Nancy network...the web works great...but NOT see the other things that are connected to Nancy?

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated...THANKS!!!

OH...before you ask, 'Network Discovery' IS indeed turned on on both computers in the 'Advanced Sharing Settings'

Edited by deandome, 11 December 2013 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Are there any firewalls installed on any of the computers? Can you ping the IP addresses of anything from the Asus? And I hate homegroups. Delete them and never use them. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'll try all that, but I did deactivate the Asus' firewall during most of the stuff I talk about.  Still & all...how can it not see a network PRINTER on the networks it's attached to?

And I never used homegroups that much, but I thought it might help me diagnose the problem, which I think it did.

Are there any firewalls installed on any of the computers? Can you ping the IP addresses of anything from the Asus? And I hate homegroups. Delete them and never use them. 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Welcome to Networking lol where things seem like they should work yet don't. I asked if you could ping everything, because that is the most basic communication. Also I have had to manually enter the info in for printers before because the software couldn't discover them. And the printers worked just fine. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

OK, I got the printers IP address & pinged it, all 4 'attempts' in that process are labeled "destination host unreachable"

I saw something online about trying 'ipconvig/renew', and these are the results

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its m
edia disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe8xxxxxxx
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 19xxxxxxx
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 25xxxxx
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 19xxxxxx

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.il.comcast.net.:

Does that help w/anything

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

lol ummm 19xxxxxx doesn't tell me anything. My computer's IP address is 192.168.1.75 why can I tell you that with no worries? I'm willing to bet that there are 3 million people with that same address. 

type 'ipconfig /all' that will give you all the network adapters info.

What was your printer's IP address? what is the PC with the issue's IP address? When you tried to ping it and it said it's 'unreachable' it normally means they are on different networks or something is blocking the packets.

#7 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, I'm clueless w/network stuff, as all that usually sorts out/sets up itself.  Not sure if you're telling me to post that ".../all" report or not, but I think what I've posted below will tell you what you need. If I've gone too far the other way and given out the keys to my computer, please delete the bad stuff!!

I got the IP address off the printer, it is:192.168.1.143,  Assuming that's the problem...ant is seems logical to me that it is....how to I get them on the same page?

THANKS!

iNFO.....

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXXXXX

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-2F-68-36-EB-DB

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 14-DA-E9-30-FC-AA

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Ada

pter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-2F-68-3A-02-B9

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2483:13d1:5bd1:92cd%11(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.141(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:51:08 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 13, 2013 6:31:08 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 242495336

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-C9-A2-68-74-2F-68-3A-02-B9

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{DFD034B1-519E-491A-B1E5-FBF5F2B8D3B0}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{694D4F7F-D495-4B86-81CD-C2FEAAA105DA}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:30fd:612:3f57:fe72(Prefe

rred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::30fd:612:3f57:fe72%15(Preferred)

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

Generally it's best to set printers/servers/master browers/voip etc outside the range of the DHCP server. LIke for instance giving the printer a static IP 192.168.1.10 & then set the router's dhcp server to hand out IP's starting at 192.168.1.100 for wifi/wired clients. I am speculating that something happened with the router being reset or printer lost it's lease. You can also adjust lease time inside the routers dhcp setup to help make the dhcp lease time last longer. However, again after the lease you will more than likely run into the same issues. Typically the lease default setting on the router is set to 0 meaning 1 day. The setting window there is in minutes though. So if you punch in 1450 that's the same as leaving the setting 0 since 1450 minutes equals 24hrs. Max input in this field is typically 9999 that's nearly 7 days. So if you want 2 days then it would be 1450x2, 3 days 1450x3 etc.

With that all said be sure the printer's netmask and gateway are the same as your pc. Sometimes radio's just flat out quit and seem fine but will not work period. This happens a lot with routers too and is a bug in the firmware. All that can be done is updating firmware of the router/printer etc or just pull the power plug and plug it back in fast. Usually this will retain the settings, but power cycle the radio transmitters up/down state from being stuck. Also go back over the printer connection settings in windows. Also make sure you have TCP/IP netbios enabled and set to automatic in services. With this disabled generally will give all kinds of network issues in file/print sharing. Check workgroup as well, I come across lots of issues with win 7 not communicating with win xp. Windows 7 by default likes to use mshome and XP likes to use workgroup. They both have to match. Networking can be hair pulling at times lol.

Edited by technonymous, 13 December 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#9 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Thanks!  But I kinda need you or someone (CaveDweller?) to translate that to something I can understand & act on.  

You see, I bought a router, used connection wizards to connect my computers to them, and then did the same for the printer...that's the extent of my network expertise.  And again, I don't think this is a problem with my printer settings, cuz my desktop works with the printer perfectly on this same router/network...just like it always has. And what's so weird to me is that the laptop/network connection works fine for internet access...it's just that it can't see the printer & can't see any home network to join into.

Generally it's best to set printers/servers/master browers/voip etc outside the range of the DHCP server. LIke for instance giving the printer a static IP 192.168.1.10 & then set the router's dhcp server to hand out IP's starting at 192.168.1.100 for wifi/wired clients. I am speculting that something happened with the router being reset or printer lost it's lease. You can also adjust lease time inside the routers dhcp setup to help make the dhcp lease time last longer. However, again after the lease you will more than likely run into the same issues. Typically the lease default setting on the router is set to 0 meaning 1 day. The setting window there is in minutes though. So if you punch in 1450 that's the same as leaving the setting 0 since 1450 minutes equals 24hrs. Max input in this field is typically 9999 that's nearly 7 days. So if you want 2 days then it would be 1450x2, 3 days 1450x3 etc.

With that all said be sure the printer's netmask and gateway are the same as your pc. Sometimes radio's just flat out quit and seem fine but will not work period. This happens a lot with routers too and is a bug in the firmware. All that can be done is updating firmware of the router/printer etc or just pull the power plug and plug it back in fast. Usually this will retain the settings, but power cycle the radio transmitters up/down state from being stuck. Also go back over the printer connection settings in windows. Also make sure you have TCP/IP netbios enabled and set to automatic in services. With this disabled generally will give all kinds of network issues in file/print sharing. Check workgroup as well, I come across lots of issues with win 7 not communicating with win xp. Windows 7 by default likes to use mshome and XP likes to use workgroup. They both have to match. Networking can be hair pulling at times 

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm sorry, you're correct that I didn't say if I wanted you to post that info or not and it's fine that you did thank you. And no all that info is just fine. Most people have the same sort of info.

The first thing Technonymous is talking about is DHCP and how it sorta works. Basically on your router there is a "program" running that hands out addresses to machines that ask for one.(yes this is very basic of what all DHCP does). Part of what happens when a device gets an IP address is there is a time limit on how long it can have that address without the server renewing it. It may never change but if you had a power outage, when the power came back on and things started asking for addresses there is a chance that it might change. What you can do on things like network printers, where you want it's settings to stay the same so it will work, is tell it to use a certain 'static' IP address. Typically that address is outside of an address DHCP would assign but still on your network. So that way no matter what the printers IP address doesn't change and the settings you have on your PC are still valid. And yes you should set the printer to a static IP but lets get you printing first.

The second thing is basically unplugging/shutting down everything on your network and starting with the ISP equipment, then your router, then PC's and stuff, turn it all back on. That would sorta refresh everything.

Yeah, I'm clueless w/network stuff, as all that usually sorts out/sets up itself.  Not sure if you're telling me to post that ".../all" report or not, but I think what I've posted below will tell you what you need. If I've gone too far the other way and given out the keys to my computer, please delete the bad stuff!!

I got the IP address off the printer, it is:192.168.1.143,  Assuming that's the problem...ant is seems logical to me that it is....how to I get them on the same page?

THANKS!

iNFO.....

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Ada

pter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-2F-68-3A-02-B9

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2483:13d1:5bd1:92cd%11(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.141(Preferred)

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:51:08 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 13, 2013 6:31:08 PM

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 242495336

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-C9-A2-68-74-2F-68-3A-02-B9

I'd like you to go to one of the PC's that is not having an issue with printing and do the same ipconfig /all . Look for the information in the red text above. I don't need you to post it all, just the IPv4 address. The other 2 things I just want you to tell me if they are the same.

What device do you have from Comcast? Just a modem or is it a modem/router? The easiest way to tell is on the back there should be a coax cable, power plug and a cat 5 or network cable that runs to your router = modem. If there are more places to plug in a network cables = modem/router. OR you can get the make and model of it from the sticker on the bottom and post it, and I'll look it up lol.

Also what router do you have?

I will admit I am scratching my head as to what the issue is right now. This is part of the problem helping in this format, Oh and it's OK that you don't know networking, no one is born knowing this crap =)

#11 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Here is the info from the other computer.  I think I'm gonna uninstall all the Epson software, install JUST the driver, and then see if the Windows "Add a Printer" thing will work.

Here's that info (from the PC that works fine w/the printer:

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.il.comcast.net.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F6-7B-CB-51-4E-38

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink ™ Gigabit Ethernet

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A4-BA-DB-EE-C8-8A

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F0-7B-CB-51-4E-38

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ed3e:4cdf:af5b:7e8d%10(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.142(Preferred)

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:35:49 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:35:53 PM

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 250641355

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-A2-01-E1-F0-7B-CB-51-4E-38

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:1009:345d:bc5d:dbcb(Pref

erred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1009:345d:bc5d:dbcb%17(Preferred)

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users