Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Note Christmas Carol? (continuous beeping on startup)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

My "new" computer started singing to me yesterday when starting up.  It sings a continuous beeping of many short beeps that almost sound like one long continuous beep interrupted by clicking.  It stops as soon as Windows starts up.  Then, almost always on the first start up, I get crazy stuff happening, such as clicking on a shortcut icon and while the program is starting Windows wants me to confirm I want to delete the shortcut.  Or being unable to find any plug and play camera such as my iPad.  Sometimes it takes one or two reboots to get things working fairly normally again, but that Carol of the Beeps is every time I start up.

This is a Dell Optiplex GX620 running Windows XP.

As much as I love to hear pretty music, this little refrain sounds scary to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Dell has some lights on the back. Labeled A-D. what color are the lights

Edited by Roodo, 11 December 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#3 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sorry, couldn't find any lights on the back.

AVG updated, found a Trojan, removed it, and there's been no beeping since then, so I'm guessing that was the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users