Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible file association problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hipshot

hipshot

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hi, about 2 weeks ago all thumbnail pictures in 'my pictures folder' vanished. The titles describing each one were still below the icon. This also affected photos, some videos & a PDF file. I'm running XPhome. Trying to open them using the menu of choices doesn't work. Then several days later, they suddenly reapeared without my doing anything. Now it has hapenned again as of yesterday(12-10-13). If I plug in a thumb drive, I can see all the pictures on it  I could sure use some suggestions or direction in fixing this. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Have you tried a search to see if the files are to found that way?Also check the files arent hidden.

Have you virus checked to see if that is an issue.Also,did you back the files up?

Try a system restore to before the problem started,you may find the files that way.

If you cant locate the files anyware you could run Testdisk  to recover them,ive used this sucessfully to recover lost  files on a damaged partition.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

They also do aplication for recuvering pictures.

If you try Testdisk read

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Edited by Wolverine 7, 11 December 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#3 hipshot

hipshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hi Wolverine7, thanks for your suggestions. I will try what you suggest tomorrow. Meanwhile, yes, I did save the pictures & photos to a thumb drive & they open just fine. My system restore doesn't work, that's another issue.

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Ok well thats good you didnt lose your data ;-)

Try running the file checker,if sys restores not working somethings up.

You could run Windows repair all in one,see if that helps your system.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Id advise a vius check though first,Malwarebytes run in safe mode and tds killer at the least,to eliminate any problems their.

System restore can be repaired by replacing the necessary files and services,sometimes turning it on and off and rebooting

will work.See how it goes.You should virus check befoer you do anything else.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796

#5 hipshot

hipshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hello Wolverine 7, I finally got around to going to the site you suggested, Tweaking.com & I must say, I was very impressed by the tool he came up with! I ran the All in one repair & it took care of the problems for me. I now have all my pictures & photos back. I registered at the site & thanked him for building such a nice tool & I thank you for pointing me in that direction! I'm not going to try using system restore right now, it will wait till another time. Thanks again for you time & help!

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for that Tweaking.com reference Wolverine, I normally don't trust tools like that, it's great to hear of one that works.

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Your both most welcome,glad it helped out,i not fond of fixit tools generly but that ones been well writen i think.:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users