Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen hoping for help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

I built this computer on Nov 22 and everything seemed to work fine initially then I began having it freeze.  After a week and many Win 7 updates it subsided somewhat but gradually came back and the past couple of days I have gotten the blue screen so I'm operating in safe mode most of the time.  I still get freezes in SM.  Common theme seems to be using when using browser, especially video and when backing up and the screen turns off.

Here are some of the threads I have started for a little back ground.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514794/a-new-build-and-wanting-to-dual-boot/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515247/continually-freezing-machine/page-2#entry3220625

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515288/windows-7-back-up-feature/page-2#entry3222087

I managed to get some pics and screen shots of dialog and the blue screen itself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

A couple more Blue screen shots that are clearer.  I was snapping fast.  I am hoping someone can give me help with this.  Hate taking it to someone, kind of defeats the purpose of the self build.  Thanks.

11323856845_3d54c71776_c.jpg

11324008573_4beb9c8280_c.jpg

Attached Files

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

Is it possible for a mod to merge this with my other thread.  I'm not sure how I ended up with two separate threads.

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Not sure what happened.  I have asked the mods to merge another thread, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517148/blue-screen-hoping-for-help/, with this one.  Not sure what happened.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hi Bill

The screenshots you posted shows point64.sys as the reason behind the crashes. An internet search reveals this driver as Microsoft IntelliPoint Filter Driver . So obviously the first step is nothing but to uninstall the "Intellipoint" driver completely from the system. Then check for an updated version from the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the information.  How do I go about locating this driver.  System devices?

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

I found the driver, deleted it and restarted since the mouse wouldn't work.  It now shows an HID compliant mouse with the driver being from 2006.  I have downloaded a driver for win 7 from here, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/wireless-mouse-2000 ,  IntelliPoint 8.2 64-bit for Windows 7 (EXE).   Should I see how the current driver performs?  I had it search for an updated driver and it said the one I'm using is good.  

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi

I would first check how the system works with the stock generic driver came with Windows. If all functions are not working correctly, then install the latest version downloaded from Microsoft's site. 

#9 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Anshad it is working very well.  I've had nothing happen.  I will see how it goes over the next 24 hrs.  Thanks again so much for you help.  

#10 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thought I would update this.  I haven't had anymore BS of death incidents since the changing of the mouse driver.  Hopefully that indeed solved it.  Random freezes continue however.  I plan to pull the machine today where I can double check seating of memory, video card, etc.  

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi

Since all the parts are brand new, chances of a hardware failure is very low. I would first start with resetting the BIOS (via clearing the jumper) and loading optimal default values in CMOS setup to rule out any incorrect CPU and RAM voltage/Frequency configuration. Secondly, manually set the RAM timings exactly as printed on top of the RAM. You can also refer manufacturer's site to figure out the recommended voltage and timing values. For example, a RAM with 9-9-9-24 timing and 1.65 volt should be configured to work on those values.   

#12 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for this information even though it is a bit beyond my sphere of knowledge.  I will look into it.  I was planning to make sure everything was properly seated.  I did update my graphics driver earlier but have had one freeze since then.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users