Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting 2 PCs Using Bluetooth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBobberson

BillyBobberson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hi, all.

I have a desktop and a Compaq laptop both using Windows XP Pro SP3. I would like to connect them both using Bluetooth so I can transfer files between them. I don't care about sharing the internet connection. I hoped to buy an Ethernet crossover cable but I couldn't find any, and I've been using a USB stick to very, very slowly transfer files across.

I turned discovery on on both the PCs and used both to try and find the other to "add a device", and they do; and also turned "allow Bluetooth devices to connect" on, as well, but they are unable to connect for whatever reason. I tried using a custom key and letting it choose one for me but neither worked. As clever as Microsoft is it doesn't tell me what the actual problem is. All it says is there isn't any more information about it. I also don't want to not use a passkey.

Again I don't need to share the internet connection, merely transfer files between them. I also tried with a small test file and it saw the other PC but then chose to fail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by BillyBobberson, 11 December 2013 - 08:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

if file or print sharing is enabled on both its  a matter of just selecting the

computer on the network.

Edited by Roodo, 11 December 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

A Number Of Links On Such

Louis

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

The bandwidth available via bluetooth is painfully slow: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Bluetooth_vs_Wifi

Bandwidth Low ( 800 Kbps )

A Cat5 crossover cable should be very easy to locate. Almost any major retailer should have one available, if they carry electronics. And they are very easy to find online. You could call a local computer repair shop and ask if they have one or know where to get one. They might even make one for you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 BillyBobberson

BillyBobberson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

I looked in services.msc and can't find file or printer sharing - unless it's called something completely different.

I don't know what Conformal Systems is, but of course I "googled it" before trying here.

Speed is not a problem for me with transferring the files through Bluetooth. I asked in a computer shop here but they said they don't order crossover cables often because people tend not to ask for them.

I could use the internet to transfer files but I am very limited on that.

Thanks.

Edited by BillyBobberson, 28 December 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cat%206%20crossover%20cable&sprefix=Cat+6+crossover%2Caps%2C303

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=Cat+6+crossover+cable

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=Cat+6+crossover+cable&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Cat 6 cables have all capabilities of Cat 5 and are technologically better.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users