Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White screen as soon as power on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 randomboy

randomboy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hi all,

Hoping you can help on this....and that I am posting this in the right place.

My screen goes white as soon as I turn my PC on. I can hear it booting but the screen stays white only going black occasionally for a spit second then back to white again. I left it this way for around 30 mins last night when suddenly the login screen appeared. As it was working I updated my graphics card, ran Malwarebytes in safe mode which found around 9 things such as conduit, I cant remember the rest. I also noticed that something called spigot Inc was installed so I removed that from my programs also. I fully updated my windows updates and all was well for the rest of the night, it rebooted fine a number of times.

This morning its back to white screen again!!

My specs are as follows:

Desktop - Core i5 2600k

Win 7 64bit

6GB RAM

Nvidia  GTX550Ti

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattUK

MattUK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

Hi randomboy,

Could you try booting in to the 'Last Known Good Configuration', and see if it boots successfully please?

To do this:

• Turn on the computer
  • Tap the F8 key until a menu appears
  • Select 'Boot last known configuration'

More information is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

I have a feeling your issue is either a driver issue, or a faulty card/monitor.

Thanks!

Matt

#3 randomboy

randomboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

Thanks,

Hopefully the white screen will have gone again by the time I get home from work and I will be able to try it.

If it boots to white screen straight away, it wont let me enter safe mode/bios at all.......i forgot to mention that.

Cheers

#4 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

If the white screen is happening immediately then it is either your video adaptor or your screen. Is this a laptop or a desktop? At either rate I would try a different screen. If it is a desktop it is of cours self explanatory if it is a laptop most have an external monitor adaptor and will display on the external monitor if it is not the video card/adaptor. Note: There is a small chance on laptop that you may need to enable the external monitor but most more modern laptops will detect automatically. If the laptop has an HDMI port you can also use TV's that have either the video VGA port or the HDMI port available on them. A lot of modern televisions have both options. After plugging in the cable change your television input to the video source you have connected your computer to.

#5 randomboy

randomboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thank you.

Its a desktop

I'm going to check the graphics card by hooking up my monitor to the VGA graphics connection on my motherboard, if the monitor comes on then it must be the Nvidia graphics card thats faulty.

is that right?

#6 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

Sorry, not completely sure what you mean? If you are currently connected via a different connection on your VIdeo card i.e. HDMI and you are going to connect to the VGA port instead if it is the same monitor that does not necessarily mean it is the video card if using the same monitor. The only way to verify it is not the monitor is to either hook a different source to your monitor and make sure it works. Or connecting your computer to a different display like a different monitor you know works or a television that supports an available connection source i.e. HDMI from computer to tv or VGA to tv.

It is most likely the video card but to make sure a different display needs to be tested to verify it for sure. It could also be your monitor or cable (not as likely)

#7 randomboy

randomboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks again,

Its easier for me to rule out the video card first as I don't have a separate monitor to check or another source to hook up to the monitor.

I will check each seperatley to find the cause, I just thought it might be malware related but it sounds like this is not the case

#8 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

As long as I understood correctly and the white screen is imediate, meaning as soon as you power on the computer then it is an issue with hardware. One thing I haven't mentioned is that you may want to try reseating the video card. Remove the video card blow out the slot and insert the video card fully again.

Edited by techwizardsolutions, 11 December 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#9 randomboy

randomboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yes you understood correctly, white screen as soon as I power on, thanks for your help, hopefully its a bad lead!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users