Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doodah12

doodah12

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

Hi,

I built a rig just over a year ago, it's an Asrock Z77 Exterme 4, i5-3570K, Gskill Ripjaws DDR3  4 x 8 gig, Samsung 840 Pro SSD,  Rosewill Green Series 630W PSU, no videocard, just used onboard graphics.It's always run great but yesterday it was running, and I walked away for a few minutes, and when i came back, it was powered off.

I restarted, the fans turn on, ther's no beep, no post, nothing on the screen.  I get a dr debug error code of A2, which is IDE detect. 

I checked all connections, no post.  Tried unplugging all SATA devices, except boot drive and swapped 1 or 2 sticks of ram in every memory slot combination, but still no post.  Cleared the CMOS, still no post. 

Checked my HD in my other system, and was able to access it, so I think the HD is ok.

I'm guessing it's either the mobo or the power supply.  I guess I can try installing my power supply in my other system and see if it starts up. 

I don't know why either would fail in just a year. 

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Since you have to remove the power supply from your good computer anyway, mount it in the non-booting one. This will definitely eliminate either the PSU or the Mobo as the cause of your problems.

Electronic equipment is well known for the 'bath tub shaped' failure curve. A fairly high failure rate very early in its life, a low failure rate after that, and then an increasing failure rate as it reaches the end of its service life. Unhappily, a 'low' failure rate is not a zero failure rate - you may just have been unlucky.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Don't have time to do it today, I'll install it tomorrow.  I'll cross my fingers that it boots....Thanks

#4 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Well, tried the other PSU from my working computer, and unfortunately no change, no post, same A2, IDE Detect error code.  Do I have any other options other than buying a new mobo?

Edited by doodah12, 12 December 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

Unless somebody else comes up with a bright idea, probably not.

You've checked the hard drive, the PSU, the RAM - there isn't much left is there ?  And the fact that you are getting the IDE detect error suggests the CPU is OK. Pity, it's a nice looking board.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Did you pull all your cards as well. Strip that mb down to nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users