Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows updates, without IE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

i have automatic update turned on on my xp computer but it never seems to preform any updates these days. recently i have tried going into the windows security centre and using thr check fro updates link but all this does is opens IE(worst browser ever), i am then forced to endure hours of torturous cr*p as windows update refuses to work with chrome or firefox, this shows the updates bar saying it is checking but never does anything. is there a way to manually check for updates without using internet explorer AT ALL. i've seen codes online for command line inputs but all these are said to do is open up ie on the updates site so i still have to go through this cr*p browser. also can anyone suggest anything i could do to chrome or firefox's settings so they could be used.

thanks

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Unfortunately that is the way it is with Windows XP. Windows Vista and later versions has their own separate Windows Update process that is browser free.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

thanks for such a swift reply, but there is no way?

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

No there isn't and ive used Windows XP since it came out.

#5 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

If you will go to Tutorials - Windows XP - and search "updates" your information is there.  The way I read this article is Windows Updates are for Windows XP and not just for IE.  It has the same dialog boxes as my XP does.

Another mention.   We are advised not to remove the entire IE program from our computers because IE is an integral part of the system and is used for necessary XP functions.  To be brief, IE is necessary even if you don't use it; XP does, even if parts of IE are disabled, it's essential.

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

You are quite correct MissLizz, and I don't think you can remove it in any of the Win operating systems. My son tried to remove it from Vista, no go, and that was fun trying to reinstall it. In later operating  systems, it's not that you need IE to update Win, it's more than likely that the programs overlap and a lot of code sharing goes on...I would still love to see the complete program of Windows, in code...

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

Great topic! I'm still loading XP on some client's PCs (per their requests) and we still use XP at our office. I switched computers last week and did a clean install so I'm struggling with getting the updates to work properly for myself as well.

I wish MS would go ahead and make a final service pack- I think there's around 132 updates after SP3 so there's more than enough to bundle together and make a SP4. It'd be worlds easier than trying to deal with the hangups, freezes, scanning loops, etc that I've had to deal with lately :axe:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users