Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Freezes, Low on Memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blueandy

blueandy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hi there,

I have posted this topic on the Malware forum (Am I infected?) and after identifying some infections, was advised to post here. My machine slows down to a dead halt, with system message saying 'low on memory'. At the same time I have to hard boot the laptop and start again, usually with the same results.

As imagined I cannot run more than one application at the same time and even then with inevitable end results.

Please advise.

Many thanks for your help,

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:45 AM

Can you please download speccy and post the snapshot to a reply. Also i recommend running a memtest on your system. Here is some instruction to post your speccy snapshot
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 blueandy

blueandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:51 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/veApKhrxlqum00B6SPNcO1Q

#4 Mauriceb

Mauriceb

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:36 AM

The problem may be with your hard disk space or RAM. Remove unused files and applications from your PC and try again. You can also consider upgrading the hard drive to enhance its capacity. Also upgrade your system RAM by two folds. However, its critical to check the upgrading capability of your present system before proceeding. Else consider complete system upgrade. 

Edited by Mauriceb, 11 December 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#5 blueandy

blueandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I don't think that memory is the problem. I had no problems at all until last week when I picked up malware and posted to the other 'I'm infected, What do I do' forum. This showed that my system had several trojans which were removed. Since then the problems have recurred, despite the malware removal that took place.

My system shows I have 102 GB remaining out of 176 GB available. This is enough, no?

RAM of 4GB should also be sufficient for my needs, I think, seeing as I'm not gaming on the machine.

I think there must be some remaining problems which haven't been cleared up. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

#6 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

your memory usage is at 92%. open up task manager and see what processes/programs are eating all of your RAM up. also i see that your anti virus is disabled, you will want to enable that so that you are not infected again. 

good luck

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#7 blueandy

blueandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hi there,

An update is in order.

After checking my laptop's task manager, I found that over 90% of RAM was being used mysteriously.

I checked the processes runningand found that the DLL process was the culprit.

After googling for help, I downloaded DLL Tool and even though I didn't buy the full version of this software, to clean up the problems, I found this in itself corrected the problem.

Physical memory used hovering around the 40% mark and all services running fine.

Thanks for your help, again.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users