Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can i know if i have a virus after i pressed on a zip someone sent me?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mata23

mata23

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hello! today a friend of mine sent me a messege in facebook telling me that someone stole my facebook profil and he also included a zip so pressed on the zip saved it to my computer opened it but nothing happened it showed me a black box with some letters for a split of a second and then it dissappeared, as if it couldn't open.  So I asked my friend what that was and he said that he diddn't sent it that it was sent automatically to me and that it was a virus and not to open it. But I did so I tried to erase it and I did erase the folders inside the zip but I couldn't erase the zip itself because it said that it was open in a programm but the only programm I had open was 'my files' then I closed the PC and reopened it and erased it succesfully but I want to know.. did I get infected? How can I know that? And if I did how can I get rid of the virus?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I would run a full virus scan with your antivirus and with malwarebytes or an equivelent malware scanner. Then I'd change my Facebook password. Never assume any zip file is from the person who supposedly sent it. 90% are viruses. Also warn your friends that  you've been hacked and not to accept any files form you. or  any friend requests the hacker might send.

#3 DrDataRex

DrDataRex

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

I agree, run a full malwarebytes scan, scan pc using a "Full system Scan". Also use a full system scan with your anti-virus.

If possible, do this from safe mode.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Note:
Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. Why? MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally, update the database definitions through the program's interface (preferable method) and try rescanning again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mata23

mata23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thank you!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Email & Attachments: How to Protect Yourself Tips from Microsoft:Email & Attachments: Other Resources for How to Protect Yourself:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users