Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which McAfee program to believe

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Win xp home SP3.  Came with programs installed.  I get a warning from McAfee Security Scan Plus that my laptop  virus and spyware  and firewall need attention.   I run McAfee Internet Security and the results say virus, spyware, web, email protection all okay, updates are current, all files checked  and no viruses detected firewall protection on.  I've not been experiencing any unexplained activity on my laptop.  Why these two different reports?  Scan Plus wants to sell me better protection.  Internet Security runs until April 2014.  Would removing Scan Plus cause any problems with the rest of McAfee whatever that might be?Appreciate your opinions or suggestions.  I don't plan to do any major overhaul on this machine - just want it to last until April.

Edited by MissLizz, 10 December 2013 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

This happens when you have more then one AV running.

#3 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

What other AV could I have?  Where would I look?  Control Panel shows only these two mcAfee entries - are they 2 av programs.  I knew I had internet security, I don't know where the other came from - somewhat recently, I think.  I've been using this laptop for quite some time, and this warning has been showi8ng up on in the last two weeks. 

Edited by MissLizz, 10 December 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

Open Security Center by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Security Center.

Click on virus protection.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hi -

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#6 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I did as you said.  It seems I have a Windows Firewall as well as Windows virus protection.  I wasn't aware of that.  So I should get rid of one set or the other?  I'm going to need some time to check out other replies before I start doing anything.  I don't know why all this just suddenly starting happening with McAfee.  We'll see.  Why install other security systems if you already have Windows Firewall and Virus protection?  As I said, this laptop came this way.  Thanks for the help and ideas.

#7 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

McAfee Security Scan Plus is not an antivirus program in the conventional sense

http://promos.mcafee.com/LegacyLp/en-us/affiliates/adobe/landingpages/np681.asp

It is actually a program that is attached to other third party downloads if you forget to uncheck the installation offer. Adobe Flash for instance has this attached and you must uncheck the selection to install it to avoid it being installed.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

@ Miss Liz -

Please copy / Paste the results back here.

this way we can fully check on what is and is not a security program.

Thank You -

#9 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thank you for that information.  I'm glad to find out it isn't an AV.  Helps me a lot.

#10 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Noknojon, I feel so foolish.  I'm just not up on the cut, paste, post, snapshots and all.  I try to learnj these things but I have to go from site to site learning a little bit along.  Problems would be easier to solve if a could absorb information faster but I'm in the process of studying  how to be a beginner and maybe someday I'll make it.  So far though, a Trojan has been found.  I am working on Security Check but I don't hold out much hope.  I'm really sorry.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Do not get too worried at all - This is very simple to begin with -

Find the Text or Result that you wish to Copy / Paste > Highlight all of the details with the Left Mouse Button -

Now press Control (Ctrl key) + C and the details are remembered / Copied. Now , Come back here and just click in the open reply box (as you would normally) and press Control + V to Paste those details here -

Other options are in the Bleep Comp Copy and Paste Tutorial.

Hope this helps -

#12 MissLizz

MissLizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

noknojon, I'm giving up.  I don't know how I got the results I did, I didn't find or get the exe. items you referred to; there is no save in the upper left of the page.  I could go on.  This laptop model seems to have nothing in common with any of the rest.  The mouse does not show the same messages, etc.  I do have the black box message saved as a bookmaark  but this mouse refuses to highlight anything.

I appreciate the effort you went to, your patience; I've just no more time or energy to give this.  I do thank you.

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

So far though, a Trojan has been found. <= At least have someone that you know have a look into this.

Do not take it to a Repair shop, where they will charge you around $200 for a simple job.

All of the things you mention do exist, and in a month or so, you will see how easy this is.

Good Luck - :flowers:

#14 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

MissLizz, don't give up. Sometimes things just don't go quite as expected. Just need to work on one thing at a time.

Noknojon, I just tried to down load "Security Check" to the desk top and it appeared that nothing had happened. "Security Check" did not show up, no messages or any indication that I had even tried.

When I checked the down load page, the cursor had the spinning/busy circle. Checking the down load log(Opera), shows a progress error for "SecurityCheck.exe".

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with this machine other than "McAfee LiveSafe" security suite is still installed on it. Haven't gotten around to removing the beast yet.

Unless there is something wrong with the down load link for "Security Check", I believe McAfee is interfering with the down load. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to configure McAfee to allow the down load.

I'm just putting two and two together on this, so I may be completely wrong on thinking it's McAfee.

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:29 AM

Security Check Program is a direct link from the version on Bleeping Computer site.

I use this link about 5 (or more) times every single day, plus check it on my XP or Win 7 most days.

All tool links that I post are the ones hosted on this site (check if you are not sure).

The program icon looks like a padlock -

Read the bottom line of the download instructions - It works (just checked).

Clear Cache / Temp Files
Download TFC by Old Timer to your desktop
• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it (looks like a black garbage can).
For Vista, Win 7 / 8 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
• It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
• Click the Start button to begin the process.
• Once it's finished it may reboot your machine.
• If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users