Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rumor: Full Start menu in Windows 8.2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Paul Thurrott is reporting that Microsoft will finally be bringing back the full Start menu to the Windows 8.2 desktop mode. Unlike the current Start button that Microsoft added to Windows 8.1, the new Start menu will be much more like the one Windows users have known and loved since Windows 95. Thurrott also says that the new version of Windows will allow for Metro apps to run as floating windows on the desktop screen, something that users can only do right now if they’ve installed third-party applications such as ModernMix.

Thurrott says that while these changes alone may not be enough to make hardcore desktop fans happy, it’s still "a good sign" that Microsoft is "continuing to do the right thing and responding to complaints."

More: PCWorld.com > Report: Windows Start menu to return in Windows 8.2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Although I love the start menu and everything about the start menu it's quite sad to see that Windows cannot stick to change due to user pressure. I know that not having the Start menu in Windows 8 was a big blow to Windows in itself but I think that the "metro" style is brilliant. I think it's a step in the right direction especially if a lot more computer are touch screen.

Just my thoughts I guess. 

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

IMO the metro screen was a flop. Windows users were not ready for such a big change. I, myself will not "update" to Windows 8.1 because Microsoft wants to shove the metro screen down users throats.It's nice to see MS is listening to users and restoring the start button.

Just my thoughts on it. :)

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

I do love how they're listening to users, it's great for a company to do so. I just think that change is important.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

OK. So:

Windows 8: Makes everything change dramaticaally.

Windows 8.1: Restore boot into desktop, add start button.

Windows 8.2: Restore start menu.

So Windows 8.2 = Windows 7 without aero and boot faster?

But its great to hear that MS is listening to customers.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi, I too hated 8.0 without a start button, it seemed ridiculous to slap your cursor way OFF screen to bring out the so-called 'Charms'. I downloaded 8.1 and liked it a little better, but since then I have downloaded Classic Shell 4.2 and it is a LOT better now. (Free!) Even better than the old start button. And you don't need to even see the tiles if you like.

As for touchscreen, that is made for tablets and game players, which you are holding close, but who in an office wants to keep reaching out to touch your screen all day? Microsoft seems to be giving up a whole commercial and business market with touchscreen. Desktops are not going out just because game players want touch screen! Many offices are still using XP because it works!

Just my opinion.

masx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users