Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to restore External hard drive info?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Far as I know, with any internal hard drive, whenever windows stops working you can still get the info if the drive is not totally dead but where external and flash drives are concerned, when the drive does not show in My Computer this means the drive is dead and no way to recover the info? Or is there anything else I can try please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

Ontrack, Flashback Data and DriveSavers are three well-known companies that can attempt to retrieve files off of a 'dead' hard drive. Pricing typically runs between a few hundred to a couple of thousand dollars (US).

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

I was thinking of something I can do myself but thanks for the links!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi, You said

when the drive does not show in My Computer this means the drive is dead and no way to recover the info?

It does not mean that the drive is dead. It could be the interface in the External drive case that has gone bad and the drive is OK. Or it could be the power supply if the external drive has a separate power supply. Less likely a bad cable.

As for flash drives, most of the failures I have seen have been broken solder connections between the USB plug and the circuit board.

In that case a fine tip solder iron to resolder the broken connections after opening the case usually works. They never go back together right and I have only done it in the past to get peoples data back.

What Brand of external drive, Many can be opened and will have a regular drive inside. I have seen reports that Western Digital often are not standard inside. If they have a regular drive inside, then can be hooked up to a desktop computer and data recovered.

WD most likely does that so that You can not just buy the external drive, open it up and use the drive in a desktop computer.

In many cases I have seen a external drive selling for less than the same size internal. Not sure why.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Ok, thank you very much for the tips, I will certainly try it and will get back to you if I am sucessful.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

OK, noted, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users