Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting new external drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have a Seagate 3 TB desktop plus that I purchased a couple of weeks ago.  I have had a very difficult time having a full backup complete to it.  I have however been able to do file and folder backups. I was able to do a mirror image of my main HD on an older Seagate however without as much on it as this one.  It has a number of items on it that Seagate includes that I would like to remove including their software for backup etc.  I was thinking of formatting the drive and attempting the full backup again.  Any reason not to do this?

This drive seems to run warmer than the others.  Speccy showed 46°C last time I ran it.  The others run in the upper 30 range.  Does this indicate a problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

I went and exchanged this drive for a new one.  I would still like to know if the Seagate software etc can be removed.  Is there anything that must remain.  Thanks.

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Formatting should be no problem at all unless you need the driver from it, but even then Im going to go out on a limb and say that you have internet access and can download it.

I ALWAYS format all portable drives (hard drives, flash drives etc) before doing anything else immediately after I get them.

The heat may have to do with it being a 3TB, the larger drives take more power to run, 46 does seem a little on the high side but I wouldnt worry too much if the new one runs the same.

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks GG.  I will most likely do the format.  This drive has recorded as high as 53°C on one diagnostic run.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Note there is a limitation with Windows backup on large drives.  I have just run into it myself :(  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/unable-to-create-backup-files-error-0x8078002a/8d50b229-081b-4248-b562-179010f9c9bd

I have re-partitioned and formatted my Samsung 3Tb drive (Seagate made) but there is no option to format using 512byte sectors.  The smallest it will let me do is 4096 bytes.  As such, as far as I can see there is no way that Windows 7 backup will work on this drive.  If Seagate has supplied backup software with the drive you should be able to use it.

Edited by jonuk76, 12 December 2013 - 11:24 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

If I'm reading what you are saying, there is no way to use Windows backup with the Seagate Desktop plus drive?  I will read the article at the link.  I would if this works the same with other backups such Macrium Reflect?

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Got my question answered reading the link jonuk.  Thanks for that.  Now I won't even attempt the Windows backup.  I did have Macrium do a clone on my other Seagate desktop that is a couple of years old without a problem.  My choice is Syncback as you have to purchase after a 30 day trial but it has failed to do a full backup to this point.  It has done excellent on a file/folder backup however so I may be limited to it for this purpose.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

There is a free version of Syncback

I do not understand why you could not format a drive with 512 byte sectors, if that is what you want.

From a command prompt

FORMAT D: /FS:NTFS /A:512

Where D: is the letter of the drive you want to format.  In this example the drive would be formatted as NTFS, but you could also use FAT32 or exFAT if you wanted to for the /FS: portion

#9 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Kilroy I feel a bit silly because I really thought the software was only free for 30 days to try.  I have downloaded the freeware version now and will test it. I am going to try the syncback again on a full backup before I try anything else.  

#10 ChelseaWoolf

ChelseaWoolf

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

It's so simple formating new external drive i have 2 way to formating exter drive

1. plug the usb drive into your computer after then right click the hard drive then click to format then click files system tab pick fat32 click start button wait for it to finish and done it's that simple

2. plug your usb click start > run > type cmd > then type "Format drive name like:" for example "format h:" then enter then done

#11 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

There is a free version of Syncback

I do not understand why you could not format a drive with 512 byte sectors, if that is what you want.

From a command prompt

FORMAT D: /FS:NTFS /A:512

Where D: is the letter of the drive you want to format.  In this example the drive would be formatted as NTFS, but you could also use FAT32 or exFAT if you wanted to for the /FS: portion

Would it be possible to make a partition and format it as you stated above and leave the remaining as the drive comes, larger sectors?

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

You can of course split the drive into multiple partitions.  However I suspect you will not be able to format the partition with 512 byte sectors.  Give it a try as I'd like to be proven wrong :)  Seagate however simply say you can't use the drives for Windows Backup - specifically system images, if you disable system image backup it will probably work. http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005486en/?language=en_US

Edited by jonuk76, 17 December 2013 - 12:09 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the link.  I won't be trying the Win 7 backup again but will probably take this drive back as it defeats the purpose for me.  

#14 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

I took the external back on bought an additional internal like the one that runs the machine.  Partitioned the drive so I could have the system backup area dedicated.  Works perfectly.  Thanks again for all the comments, suggestions and help here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users