Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition with mirror image on drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

I recently put a mirror image of my main HD on an external drive.  I should have partitioned the drive prior to doing this but did not.  Can a partition be created now without loosing the mirror image?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

It will depend on what you use to partition the drive.

Which version of Windows are you using?

Newer versions of Windows will allow you to add/delete partitions non-destructively if memory serves (adding a new partition does require enough free space on the drive for the size partition that you want).  I am pretty sure Vista or newer is non-destructive (i.e. does not require a format).

FWIW, even if it is supposedly a non-destructive partitioning process, I still tend to recommend backing up the data on the drive if it is critical data that is not otherwise duplicated elsewhere.  Disk operations such are partitioning are pretty serious things and if something goes wrong it can ruin your day…although something going wrong is not likely.  I am just the type of person who likes to prepare for the worst.

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the response.  I am using Win 7, SP 1.  The data is a mirror backup and could be ran again if necessary.  I have critical (to me) files and folders on a different external. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for the response.  I am using Win 7, SP 1.  The data is a mirror backup and could be ran again if necessary.  I have critical (to me) files and folders on a different external.

It would only be related to the drive you are partitioning, although to be safe I would unmount/disconnect the other drive with critical files.

With Windows 7, you should be able to add a partition to the drive with the mirror backup without anything happening to the mirror backup. I will note that you likely may not need to make a new partition. Presumably the mirror image is a single file. If so, just leave it be and create folders for other data. You do not really gain anything by adding a partition other than some possible organizational help, but that can likely be accomplished with folders as well.

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks again.  For whatever reason when the mirroring process started it stated it would erase everything from the HD so I moved things that were critical to keep and the mirror is not in a folder. I used Macrium for the mirror.  Could I put it in a folder now to prevent the need to partition?  I wouldn't want other folders mixing with the mirrored folders.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thanks again.  For whatever reason when the mirroring process started it stated it would erase everything from the HD so I moved things that were critical to keep and the mirror is not in a folder. I used Macrium for the mirror.  Could I put it in a folder now to prevent the need to partition?  I wouldn't want other folders mixing with the mirrored folders.

Sounds like you did a clone rather than an image. Cloning makes an exact duplicate of the drive to another drive, while imaging is usually thought of as taking that exact duplicate of the drive and putting it into one backup file. The primary difference is that in theory as clone is bootable (assuming that the drive that you cloned to is capable of being using as a boot drive for you computer).

If you did clone rather than image, then yes, you will likely want to partition the drive.

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

I hate to admit it but I believe you are correct and totally changes the thread.  I went and looked at Macrium and believe I did select clone though I can't find anything in the logs to verify that it is indeed a clone.  I am glad someone with knowledge of the subject was able to comment and read between the lines.  Thank you again for the input.

#8 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

The partition went fine and the files I wanted to back up in the new partition are there.  Thanks again.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

The partition went fine and the files I wanted to back up in the new partition are there.  Thanks again.

Glad to here everything worked fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users