Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Professional issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mainman407

Mainman407

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

I recently installed a WD 250 IDE HDD in my system and installed Windows XP Pro using my installation disk. Everything was going fine until last week. My system would not boot into Windows. Yet when I was finally able to get past whatever problem that was causing the startup issue, Then when Windows starts (or I think so), there are four small rectangles randomly placed over the monitor screen with numbers and an omega sign.

I am able to get to the Recovery Console via the installation CD and have used CHKDSK /r (no issues were reported). Then I used the bootcfg /rebuild command to restructure the boot.ini file. Still nothing.

I have a Spotmau Boot Recovery CD and I'm able to get this program to run but still cannot get Windows to bootup or load even after using the Windows Recovery program. The last time I used the MBR Restore program on this Spotmau BootSuite disk it seemed to messed things up more than it corrected.

I was told to download Hirens Boot CD and run it. Well I downloaded the software and burned it to a CD. The Hiren's Boot CD worked one time. Now when I place the CD in the CD-ROM tray and press <ALT> <CNTL> <DEL> to reboot from the CD-ROM nothing happens. I just have a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

I've even downloaded Kaspersky Recovery CD but it doesn't work either. I know the Hiren's Boot CD works because I have used it in my laptop. But this CD simply will not boot up on the Windows XP Pro system. The Untimate Boot CD starts when I boot from it but I cannot find and suitable programs to resolve my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

If you can't solve the problems, then I would Format your "C" Drive, and reinstall Windopes. Once that is done, I would use Norton Ghost to make an image of your "C" Drive in another partition, so if this kind of crap arises again, you can restore your "C" Drive using Norton Ghost.

#3 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Is it possible that as things often do multiple issues are happening? Try using the Hirens Boot CD and Kasperky CD in another computer if one is available. It may be possible that your CD-Rom drive is going out, at the same time...it happens

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

Are you able to enter the BIOS?

Are there any beeps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users