Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

A quick question for you all.I want to update to 8.1,what do I have to do first just in case I have to go back to 8.I don't know how to roll back if need be,thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Did it come with Windows 8?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

It is a Asus M11BB desktop and came with Windows8.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

Create Your factory Recovery disks, then upgrade to windows 8.1.

1) Go to start screen

2) type "drive recovery" in search screen - choose settings tab in search screen
3) click on "create a recovery drive"
4) Insert a 16GB drive and a way you go.

Credit: Found this on THG on how to create your recovery media

Edit: It could take awhile, one user said 3.5 hours.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 December 2013 - 01:58 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

Thanx for the help,tried it this morning but says only 16gig flash drive.I will buy one next time I am out and try it again.Thanx again,Tony.One other thing,I have tried to change the boot order for about 3 months now.Now it only shows the hard drive.Have tried tech support to no avail.

Copying anything to a cd or a flash drive is no help to me,because I can only boot from the hard drive.Have searched everywhere and can't find any answers.I have been in the bios and have tried everything with all the options they give me and still no luck.

Edited by Plumber, 11 December 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#6 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

If 8.1 doesn't work out for you, it is easy to go back by just choosing to Refresh your computer.

It will return to 8. and be exactly as you bought it. But will uninstall any programs you installed but not your personal files. But know that Refresh is different than Start Over which returns it to a blank setup like the day you brought it home. 

There is ONE KB update file you need before you can update to 8.1. 

I have refreshed mine 4 times trying to stop a freeze up from happening. No luck so far.

masx

Edited by masx, 11 December 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#7 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Another thing ya can do is make an image of drive C: and if you don't like 8.1 you can restore c: back to win 8, this way you have all your programs, win 8 has a built in image program. That's what I did and worked just fine.

#8 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Another thing ya can do is make an image of drive C: and if you don't like 8.1 you can restore c: back to win 8, this way you have all your programs, win 8 has a built in image program. That's what I did and worked just fine.

That's exactly what I did when I was testing the 8.1 Preview (because there is no upgrade path from there) and when I upgraded to the final release from Win8.  It turned out to be a non-issue, everything is working fine, but I liked having an escape route.  FYI, the image option in Win8 is sort of hidden but can be found by searching for "Windows 7 File Recovery".

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#9 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Thank-you all for your input.Went to windows store and downloaded 8.1 at 2 o'clock,still applying changes now at 7 thirty.It sure is taking a long time.It is now 10 o'clock and finally installed.Took 8 hours to install,unreal but no bugs yet.

Edited by Plumber, 11 December 2013 - 10:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users