Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Home Premium, will not boot, how can I recover pictures?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stacystacy

stacystacy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Good Afternoon,

I have a desktop with Vista Home Premium. It is stuck in an endless boot. I cannot boot to any Safe Mode option or to Last Known Good Configuration. A BSOD flashes during the boot loop, but it is so fast that I cannot read it.

I ran the onboard hard drive test and all tests passed.

I took out the hard drive and plugged it externally to a laptop running Windows 7. The laptop showed a message that the drive needs to be formatted before it can be used. I did not format it, so I get an error message saying that the "drive is corrupted and unreadable".

I used Acronis and created a backup of the C drive, but I do not have an extra hard drive so I have not checked to see if it works. In Acronis I also tried to use the backup "files and folders" option, and then selected the C drive, but it doesn't show any data.

Can anyone recommend programs or walk me through a process to recover the pictures from this drive?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anthonynguyen93

anthonynguyen93

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Create a bootable linux(preferred)/windows USB or CD and boot from it. Then navigate and browse through your mounted files and folders and back them up on an external hard drive. 

#3 stacystacy

stacystacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

I used the Windows XP option on a Hirens boot CD, but when I navigate to the C drive, it says "C:\ is not accessible. THe file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I ran HDD Regenerator prescan and it didn't find any bad sectors (it ran for an hour). I guess I will run a whole scan.

Edited by stacystacy, 09 December 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#4 Bob40

Bob40

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

stacystacy,

Sure, I can help. You need a Linux CD/DVD. Any of them will do. Just Google for Linus distributions, download the iso file, burn it to a CD/DVD. I like Knoppix or PCLinuxos. then use the file navigator (icon looks like a file cabinet, single click on it) to see your files. In the navigator it will be easy to recognize your partition and explore for your missing files.Don't look for a c: drive because that's the big differences in MS and Linus, the partition naming.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Belive me your files are still there and you can get to them.

Edited by Bob40, 10 December 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#5 stacystacy

stacystacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thank you so much Anthonynguyen93 and Bob40! I made a Linux disc and was able to copy all of my pictures. I didn't realize that it would work when the Windows CD did not.

Just for my information now, can someone tell me what the probably with that computer probably was?

Thank you so much!

#6 Bob40

Bob40

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:05 AM

Stacy,

Glad you got your pictures and files back. Windows can’t read Linux even thou it’s a window format, but Linux can read Windows. It’s in the naming and mounting of the partitions that make the difference.

Now that's done you want your computer back up and running. Well why go through all that process, just boot in recovery mode and install a new! You will know that it’s clean then for sure.

After you have all your programs up and running, your data restored and the updating to Windows done, then use your Linux CD, look for the gpated program (A partitioning tool) and copy the C: partition over to external storage for a backup or image of what you have. The disk I like is here   it’s free. I just recovered from BSOD situation using it myself.

This will make your next recovery time much shorter and cleaner.

Best Regards,

Bob

#7 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Hi Stacey...I know you already retrieved your pictures and I am glad that you did....if you haven't restored Windows yet and as I read you do have a Hirens CD...if you boot into your Hirens CD open the Windows Explorer, the progra that told you that C: couldn't be accessed and right click on C: and do a chkdsk or if you open a dos prompt and type "chkdsk c: /f" without the quotes (that is if C: is the disk drive that is from your computer that is corrupted" in many cases the chkdsk program will repair the problem and allow you to access the drive and for the drive to boot regularly. In many of the blue screen cases that are not caused by true hardware problems the corruption can and is repaired by chkdsk.

me know if you need further assistance. Belive me your files are still there and you can get to them.

I actually just performed this very procedure on a Windows 7 computer just the day before yesterday that would not boot. The computer is now working perfectly and without the loss of data or set up. The customer was extremely happy as they had software installed they no longer had the key for and would have had to repurchase.

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2013 - 11:13 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

@ techwizard

chkdsk C: /f checks for disk errors.

chkdsk C: /r does the same thing, but it also looks for bad sectors and recovers any readable data.

I would suggest running chkdsk C: /r as it is more effective. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 stacystacy

stacystacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Thank you again Bob40 and Techwizard and DC3! I was able to run chkdsk /r using the Hirens CD and the computers boots up normally! I backed up the pictures to a thumb drive and to Snapfish.

Thank you so much for all being so helpful and patient in explaining things for me.

#10 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Awesome! Glad it worked out :dance:

#11 Bob40

Bob40

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Me Too!

Edited by Bob40, 16 December 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#12 candyswift00

candyswift00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

Follow recovery software works in following ways:
First scan your storage media where you lost your photos.
Second analyze the the available data for recovering.
Third recover the lost photos, videos, audios and other lost data.
Fourth restore the lost data to the specific location wherever you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users