Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use 3 monitors with my laptop running Kali?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrsCowher

MrsCowher

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

My husband is running Kali. I have purchased two new monitors and a stand with the intention of giving them to him for Christmas. I overheard him talking to someone last week and he was saying that he can only have a dual monitor setup because of his video card, I believe. 

I am wondering what I need to buy in order for him to use his laptop screen, as well as two additional monitors. 

This is his computer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6"+Notebook+-+4+GB+Memory+-+500+GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1305286656.p?id=mp1305286656&skuId=1305286656&st=ASUS%20R500A-RH51%20&cp=1&lp=1

Edited by Budapest, 11 December 2013 - 03:01 AM.
Moved from Linux ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Starting with the 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4000/2500, three displays support may be possible 

Straight off the Intel info page. Maybe his problem is not enough ports on the computer to physically attach the displays?

Edited by Felipe2237, 10 December 2013 - 07:45 PM.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 MrsCowher

MrsCowher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Is there a way to get around that? Is there something I can plug into the VGA that will be like a splitter to allow me to plug a couple into?

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2013 - 03:39 PM.
Deleted unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

A splitter would only take the signal and mirror it onto two displays, not actually giving you the ability to use 2 displays.

How many video ports does he have? That may be your only option. Use HDMI, VGA, and MiniDisplayPort, or whatever is on the laptop. The specs don't say.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

You can purchase a USB to VGA adapter.  Being as I don't know what Kali is, a search turns up a *nix OS and a game, I don't know if you will have driver issues

#6 MrsCowher

MrsCowher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

You can purchase a USB to VGA adapter.  Being as I don't know what Kali is, a search turns up a *nix OS and a game, I don't know if you will have driver issues

Best Buy let me test one out in the store today. No go. I think I have a solution, though.

#7 MrsCowher

MrsCowher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

Can anyone recommend a VGA HDMI adapter that is compatible with Linux?

#8 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Another option would simply to buy a HDMI capable monitor. However, if you prefer VGA, any adapter will do. No need to worry about compatibility, because Kali runs on Debian, so any drivers required should be covered.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#9 MrsCowher

MrsCowher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I bought two HDMI and/or VGA monitors today. I was told to try an HDMI splitter. The problem is that it currently makes the laptop screen function on its own but the two additional monitors do the same as each other. 

I guess I'll try and figure out fixes til Christmas, but I'm going to leave everything as is and let my husband configure and play with this in a couple of weeks.

#10 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

Indeed, as I stated before the splitters will just mirror an image to 2 monitors. Why not simply use both VGA and HDMI, if you only have two monitors?

Unofficial iOS Genius

#11 MrsCowher

MrsCowher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Indeed, as I stated before the splitters will just mirror an image to 2 monitors. Why not simply use both VGA and HDMI, if you only have two monitors?

I talked with someone at Best Buy who seemed to think the splitter would work. I took a chance.

I can't fit a VGA and HDMI cable cuz the ports are right next to each other. Thoughts?

#12 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

I can't seem to find any pictures of the side of the notebook online. However, some HDMI to USB adapters do exist, though they seem a bit pricey. Also, I am a bit concerned for those drivers for these adapters, as they seem to use an external video card. Worth a look.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#13 MrsCowher

MrsCowher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

Well this is what I'm doing: http://irisclasson.com/2012/06/16/re-cutting-an-old-vga-cable-to-fit-both-a-hdmi-and-vga-cable-on-my-laptop-asus-x53-x53sk-sx028v-for-two-external-monitors/

I'm also going to leave this alone for 11 days and let my husband take over the figuring this out. haha

#14 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

It looks like a good solution. Good luck!

Unofficial iOS Genius

#15 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

you can buy whats called a Concurrent Monitor Cable Splitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users