Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have a toshiba satellite c655-s5132. cracked screen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

I want to repplace the screen and I know how to do it.  Problem is I dont know if the screen is a CCFL or LED based LCD?  Short of seeing the description of the part, is there any other way to find out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hi, Since You say You know how to change it. Do what I would do. Remove the screen and order the same part number.

Or just examine it.

Or pull the Bezel and look to see if there is an inverter.

If the Video cable attaches near the top of the screen and there is are Pink and white wires connected at the bottom of the screen it is a LCD , Not LED.  The Pink and White wires connect to the Inverter.

If the Video cable attaches near the bottom of the screen then it is a LED screen. The connector is delicate so be careful.

Amazon thinks it is a LED screen.

Toshiba Product Specifications says this from here http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2865257&isFromTOCLink=false

Display
15.6” diagonal widescreen TruBrite
®
TFT LCD display at 1366 x 768
native resolution (HD)
o
Native support for 720p content
o
16:9 aspect ratio

Hence my suggestion to look and see.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. By the way technically they are both LCD screens.

LED screen uses LEDs for the backlight of the LCD screen and the commonly referred to as a LCD screen uses a CFL lamp to provide the backlight for the LCD screen.

Edited by rotor123, 09 December 2013 - 02:04 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

If it uses an inverter board, then it would be CCFL. I have a CQ60 that had the CCFL fail and bought a LED back-lit screen but had to install a converter cable for it to work. The only drawback is the screen brightness cannot be changed but I wasn't going to pay for an expensive CCFL screen when I could get a cheap LED screen on EBAY.

Edit: Sorry, I did not see @rotor123's post when replying. Please follow his advise.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi John

Most likely You also have better battery life without the drain of running the CCFL backlight?

However No way to change the brightness would be a deal-breaker for me.

Cheers

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hello,
Screen brightness on the LED screen is pretty high. Higher than the CCFL on full brightness. Took some getting used to. Battery life seems to be a little better but not that much. I can get about 2 1/2 hours on a full charge battery. I always ran the CCFL on full brightness. Maybe that's why it failed early. Yea, it kind of sucks not being able to change the brightness. I tried to do it within Windows and the screen went black just like if the CCFL went out and I had to put a flashlight on the screen in order to undo the setting. Ha Ha.

The cheapest I could find for a CCFL screen like the one I had was over $100. I got the LED screen for about $60 and the converter for about $9. I just didn't want to go through that again and decided that the LED would last a lot longer. The CCFl screen failed after only about 2 years.

#6 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

john, so then what I understand from what you said is that if there is an inverter board inside the bezel towards the bottom part of the screen , then the screen is CCFL.  If there isnt an inverter then its an LED.  Is my understanding correct?

#7 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

rotor, I thought both CCFL and LED are just backlight technologies to light up an LCD screen.  So from what you said, if the screen connector connects from the top of the backside of the screen and the bottom of the screen has a pink and red wire that connects to an inverrter than it is a CCFL, otherwise an LED, correct?

#8 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

john, where do i get a converter cable so I can use an led screen to replace my CCFL

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

john, so then what I understand from what you said is that if there is an inverter board inside the bezel towards the bottom part of the screen , then the screen is CCFL.  If there isnt an inverter then its an LED.  Is my understanding correct?

Correct, if you see a long narrow board at the bottom of the bezel, it is a CCFL screen. I got my converter on ebay as it was designed for my specific model, a CQ60. You would have to find one that would work for your Toshiba, and I am not sure if there is a converter for your model. I will try to see if one is available.

Edit: the only converter cable I could find is for the TOSHIBA A130/A135/L455/L505 Sorry.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#10 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

thanks, all this is really helping me understand.  thanks.  I have an LED screen, I checked

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hi, Just be very careful with the cable between the screen and the Base of the Laptop. The LED screens connector is smaller and more delicate.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

rotor/roger, 

thanks ill be careful

if it breaks though, Im coming to get you!! :)

Thanks for helping

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Oh, Oh!

BY the way Hold the cable against the screen when You are peeling the clear tape that secures it to the screen.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

rotor:

will do,  I know those pesky things are so fragile, thanks for the heads up.  Ive ordered the screen from ebay, says should be here around dec 13th.  Lets see.  

By the way, why do computer manufacturers still make the 3 technology LCDs when the LED ones save power and also dont have one more part, the inverter that can break down?

#15 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Fluorescent back lights are really a dying technology, but as direct replacements for older panels there's still a market. One of the issues with LED back lights is that they are often noticeably cooler (in terms of the color spectrum)  and bluer than cold cathode tubes, so color rendition can be off. Even with an inexpensive LED display, you can usually correct the color with a little tweaking, and a better quality display is more likely to have accurate color out of the box.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users