Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Test GPO

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 larksys

larksys

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

I've created a GPO to prevent Cryptolocker, etc from running from appdata folder.  How can I test to see if the policy works.  I tried installing something from the appdata folder, but it was not blocked.  I'm on a stand alone Windows 7 PC.  I have several network/domain PCs to do when I get it figured out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Why reinvent the wheel?

Use CryptoPrevent to lock down any Windows OS to prevent infection by the Cryptolocker ransomware which encrypts personal files and then offers decryption for a paid ransom. CryptoPrevent artificially implants hundreds of group policy object rules into the registry in order to block executables (*.exe, *.com *.scr and *.pif) and fake file extension executables in certain locations (i.e. %AppData%, %LocalAppData%, Recycle Bin) from running. This allows it to stop other malicious files in addition to Crypotolocker. You can also use Command Line Parameters and manually whitelist individual items or automatically whitelist all .exe files currently found in the locations that would be blocked. The changes can be reversed by re-running the tool and selecting Undo, then rebooting. The free version of CryptoPrevent permits manually checking for updates. CryptoPrevent Premium (a one-time charge) keeps CryptoPrevent up-to-date automatically with free updates for life and can be used on all your home computers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users