Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help backing up data

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

What do you think of this item?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/CalDigit/FASTA6GU3/

I have a Dell XPS 410 with two drive bays. One will be used for a solid state drive that will contain the OS and the other will be used for a HDD that will contain movies and music. I'm thinking about picking up a second internal HDD with an enclosure to clone the drive used for movies and music. The item I linked to provides the necessary eSATA port for the enclosure as well as USB 3.0 ports, which I can use for a flash drive and my external HDD. It doesn't seem like the host card requires a direct connection to the power supply, which is great. This way, I don't have to route a cable around the graphics card. Will this affect transfer speeds? I read somewhere that a direct connection to the power supply is necessary for consistent high transfer rates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have found a USB3 External to be fairly fast.

And yes a eSATA external would be faster.

However that card You linked is pretty expensive.

What You would pay for that card would buy a USB3 Card and 2Tb or 3Tb External drive, when on sale.

Since You are looking at the External drive to backup the Internal Drive is the maximum speed needed. I find that using the USB3 card and drives in my computer I get decent results. I use the Externals to back up HDTV 1080i captures which are not all that small.

To answer Your other question. I do not have a power cable connected to my USB3 card and I get good transfer rates.

I'm guessing that You have a Gigabit Ethernet port? If So You could also go with a NAS drive on the network using Mirrored drives for better data protection. More money but less likely to lose data.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, it's pretty pricey. It's the only host card that combines eSATA and USB3 that I've seen. I didn't realize I could use the USB3 card without connecting it directly into the power supply. It took about 60 seconds to transfer a 3 GB mkv file with and without connecting the USB3 card directly into the power supply. I haven't tried transferring a large number of files, though.

So, you would recommend installing a USB3 card and using an external HDD to back up my movies and music? What do you think of something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386619974&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+3.0+2+tb+external+hdd

or

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-HDTB220XK3CA/dp/B00ARJD56K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386633319&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+3.0+2+tb+external+hdd

I like that these drives have a small form factor and lay flat. I have a Seagate external HDD now that stands upright, and it's fallen over several times after bumping the desk. Does a drive's RPM affect transfer rates?

I'm interested in this network storage. Would a network drive automatically mirror the data on my internal HDD? If so, that would be very convenient. It's something I might want to look into.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi

Since You mention that You have knocked over the Seagate external HDD have You run Seatools for Windows on it to make sure there are no problems?

The Portable drives get their power through the USB port. I have Used the Western Digital 2Tb Portable drive/ I paid $119 at the time, On Sale. Strangely when I bought, The Red was cheaper than the other colors.

I ran across this one while looking on the Internet from B&H Photo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=890512&Q=&is=REG&A=details

WD 2TB My Passport USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (Silver)
B&H # WEWDBY8L0020 Mfr # WDBY8L0020BSL-NESN
Price: $124.00
Instant Savings: -$15.00
You Pay: $109.00

Vendors I would Shop, B&H, NewEgg, TigerDirect, and Amazon. B&H is in Manhattan, NY just outside the Lincoln Tunnel if You live near there.

I'm thinking of buying this one myself. As Well as the Toshiba, Despite the reviews on the Amazon Site, The Newegg reviews are better. I like to spread My data across different brands of drives. I'm using my last 2Tb USB3 Portable drive. I'm planning on using them to hold My Music Videos all on one drive. Right now they are spread out on 4 or 5 drives piecemeal.

No the Network Attached Storage  will not auto mirror the data on your internal. That would be a software solution for any type of drive. When I say Mirror, I mean that the units I use have two hard drives in them and one is an exact copy (Mirror) of the other. If either one goes bad the Software that comes with them can send me a email notice to replace the failed drive. Once the failed drive is replaced it will rebuild the data from the good one to the new one. The only way to really lose data is if both drives were to fail. For example If the good one dies before I replace the failed drive.

The USB3 drives are faster, The other thing with a NAS is that I can sit at any computer on the network in the house and save to it or read from it. Thus it serves to hold the Music or video or pictures so that everybody can access them. Also the ones I have I can set them up so I can access their data over the internet if desired.

You may also have noticed that I plan to use a Toshiba and a Western Digital to hold the same data. That way if there is a bad batch from the maker it will not affect both of them.

You Might want to buy a USB3 Extension Cable if You need more than the 6" to foot long cable that comes with the drive. FWIW I use USB3 extension cables to make the rear USB3 ports on the USB3 card accessible from the front of the computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

Before I forget the NAS I own runs around USB2 Speed. around 32Mb/s

I could have spent more for a faster unit, I'm frugal!

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#6 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FY6DV3S/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=14XRY27T56A81SBJNR26&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

Oh, for Network Attached Storage, I would have to get a device such as this and install a HDD drive and an OS as well as software to automatically backup my data? 

As for knocking over my Seagate external drive, I didn't run Seatools. I noticed event logs in Windows that said there were bad sectors or errors. I ran chkdsk and the logs went away. I also contacted Seagate support, and they said not to be concerned if the logs went away. I haven't had any issues with the drive. Well, it's often irritatingly loud, but I think it's been like that since I've had it. I can actually hear the platters when the drive is accessing data. I can also hear them clearly even when the drive shouldn't be accessing anything sometimes. 

I found a Seagate 1 TB external portable drive on Tiger Direct for $25. I think it's a great deal, and I might go that route and get an internal 1 TB drive instead of a 2 TB one. When I get a laptop in the future, I might upgrade to a 2 TB one. By then, they'll probably be better drives or maybe large solid state drives will be more affordable. 

I like the idea of a USB3 extension cable. I didn't know they made those. It would certainly make using my only USB3 ports much easier to access. 

Can I ask what USB3 card you have and what transfer rates you get with it?

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 10 December 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

That is More or less what I use, A different brand of course, However as I remember that is a good Brand too.

I added Western Digital Red NAS drives. Something Like this WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386711952&sr=1-24&keywords=Western+Digital+Red+2Tb

WD Red – THE right hard drive for home and small office NAS systems. NAS compatibility.
NASware - WD's advanced firmware technology built into every WD Red drive, enables seamless integration, robust data protection and optimal performance for systems operating in NAS and RAID environments

There are better NAS drives but these seem to be decent so far.

OR this for example:

WD Red – THE right hard drive for home and small office NAS systems.
NAS compatibility.
NASware - WD's advanced firmware technology built into every WD Red drive, enables seamless integration, robust data protection and optimal performance for systems operating in NAS and RAID environments

51ufklAGeFL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

+ 31Q292txHLL._SL500_SS100_.jpg
Price for both: $296.98

Buy the selected items together

The Cheaper one as above looks like a single core and Ports and Connectivity USB Ports: 2, USB 2.0 Ports: 2

vs the one You linked is a dual core for better performance and Ports and Connectivity USB Ports: 3, USB 2.0 Ports: 1. Indicating 2 USB3 Ports.

Features SuperSpeed USB3.0 for better performance when backing up for example.

If You decide to go that route do some research first.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Setting up a NAS seems like it will be pretty expensive and require a bit of work. It might be a great solution for people who have more than one computer in addition to portable devices, though. However, I only have one computer, and I don't have a smartphone or anything like that. A simple external HDD and Windows 8's File History or another free backup program is probably fine for my purposes. There is one thing that bothers me, though. What if I automate my backups? I'm somewhat concerned about leaving an external drive connected to my computer all of the time. I'm afraid something might happen to it if the power to the computer is suddenly cut forcing the computer to shutdown inappropriately. The drives need to be appropriately disconnected through Windows, so I wonder if my data is at risk should the power to my computer be suddenly cut. 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 10 December 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Since it is one computer I agree a NAS would be overkill.

I always shut down the computer when done with it.

In addition I always properly shut down USB externals when Done with them and since I am using Portables I unplug them to remove the power.

I don't use any special software to put things on a external drive.  I either Highlight the file(s) and right click and choose the external as a destination for the Send To or else I copy and paste or cut and paste in Computer AKA My Computer or Explorer.

We have had more than one person here that had problems after either a power failure or after disconnecting a drive without stopping it first. You are right to be somewhat worried.

You could do what I did. I have a fairly large UPS on the Main Desktop and of course laptops do not need one. They just switch over to running on battery if there is a power outage. The UPS I use also connects to the computer and can initiate a shutdown if power goes out.

I also like to have my data backups disconnected in case one of the Ransomeware viruses gets into my computer.

Off Topic: I had a small power outage last night. The Satellite TV DVR did not like it, The Hard drive was making Clacking sounds this morning and pulling the Power for 10 seconds Left the Drive out of service but Now it is Silent, Just not accessible. So now I have to watch TV live, On their schedule and with commercials. Yuck! First hard drive I have lost in many years. They are shipping me a replacement unit. Unfortunately the recorded and unwatched content is gone, Oh well.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users