Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very bad small PC.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have a Sony Vaio netbook here at work and it's not great.

It has an Intel Atom Processor 1.6Ghz and has a 80GB HDD.

I have no use for it. It's running Win7 and it cannot do the most basic of things. Trying to right click my computer took an age.

Anyway, has anyone got any idea what I could do with it. We was thinking something like digital signage.

Any input would be great. Also would it be worth ditching windows and going linux?

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Linux is going to be your answer for making the machine seem usable.  You don't mention how much RAM you have, that would also be an issue.  I had a netbook before and while it would run Windows 7, that really only meant that it would boot.

Limited RAM and an Atom processor really limit the uses.  Such machines are not really useful for much other than e-mail and web browsing.  A dedicated purpose is also a viable option.

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

Sorry I think the RAM was 2GB. Although that's just looking online as the Vaio has now crashed.  Bless.

But yeah I agree light browsing it what it was used for but apparently even that was a struggle. 

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Here is a link that should help you decide. I have Linux Xbuntu on an old pentium 3 and it runs fine.

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/10/12-great-linux-operating-systems-for.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users