Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xternal hard drive suddenly raw has bad boot sector and bad backup boot sector p

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 meb1963

meb1963

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

I actually have 2 seagate 3 tb drives that windows 7 is telling me to reformat...I have a lot of files on both of these drives. What happened to these drives is the usb3 cable is extremely loose on both drives and it would just disconnect the drives with the slightest touch...finally they would not work at all. So I removed them from their case and put them on an ez-dock. They both are now raw and windows wants be to reformat. I have used Parted Magic and self test on 1 drive shows no errors and the other has 4 errors. when I run test disk to try to boot to see files. I get this for both drives. (Bad boot sector and bad Backup book sector)                                                                                                                                              

Disk /dev/sdb - 2199 GB / 2047 GiB - CHS 267349 255 63
     Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors
 1 P FAT32 LBA                0  32 33 45600  23 55  732563456

Boot sector
Bad

Backup boot sector
Bad

Sectors are identical.

A valid FAT Boot sector must be present in order to access
any data; even if the partition is not bootable.

The Laptop I am using is Running Windows 7 and model is

HP Pavilion dv7-6157cl

Please help...I need to get these drives working!

Thank You

meb1963

Edited by meb1963, 09 December 2013 - 11:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

You can try a couple of solutions to get the data off the raw drives. You can go for the paid solution like Minitools Power Data Recovery. It lets you recover up to 1GB free to see if it will work for you.

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/free-file-recovery-software/how-to-recover-data-from-raw-hard-drive.html

The other option is to use Photo-Rec. Freeware.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#3 meb1963

meb1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thank you so much JohnC_21...I am currently running recover my files on one drive now it has found files I just hope they work. If not I will try one that you have suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users