Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron charger/power supply

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm trying to find out if I can use the charger/power supply from a Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Dell Inspiron 1525.  Neither laptop is still under warranty with Dell, so they will not support either one, unless I pay for it.  I've been researching the specs of each unit, but have been unsuccessful.  I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Both are the same in every respect except the plug is different. Will this cause problems? Yes.

The 2200 is smaller with an:

ID of 2.5mm OD of 5.5mm

The 1525:

ID of 5.0mm OD of 7.4mm

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

Do you still have the power supplies for both computers ?  Are you any good with a soldering iron ? 

If the two power supplies have essentially the same output ratings - say within 1/2 V and 1/2 A - then you could just cut the connectors off, a few inches back from the end of the cable and put the 1525 terminal on the 2200 lead. Or be even more clever, if you still want to run both computers and solder both connectors to the one output lead. Obviously you could only use one computer at a time.

You would need to be careful about the polarity of the wires as you soldered them together, but the internal leads are normally a different colour, or one is striped, and you would need to be careful about insulating your joints.

As you say, both machines are out of warranty so butchery of this sort won't impact on warranties !  Have you considered just buying a replacement charger, they are not that expensive ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the responses but I don't have the power supply for the 1525.  It was a found product.  I've also got power supplies for 2 newer Dell laptops, but I'm hesitant to try them.  They're for an Inspiron 17R - N7010 and an Inspiron 3521.  I know both of these plugs fit, but I'm not sure about the wattage needed for the older 1525.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Dell has done some strange things with their AC adapters, some have three and four conductors in those cables.  Some supply two different voltages, one AC and the other DC.  Dell has been a bit unorthodox with some of their engineering, so heads up on them.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

As to the power ratings you require for the 1525, it should be marked on the underside of the case - X Vdc at Y Amps. So long as the voltage from the mains converter / power supply is within about 1/2 a volt of this and the current rating is NOT more than 1/2 Amp less you will be alright. If the current rating is higher, this is not a problem. The rating refers to the maximum sustained current that it is capable of supplying, but the actual current drawn is determined by the laptop it is plugged into.

But MJD raises a good point. Get hold of a multi-meter and check the output plug for voltages and whether or not it is DC or AC..

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users