Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings Sojourners

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 linuxpowers

linuxpowers

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hello to all at bleepingcomputer.com!

Just making my first post to introduce myself and indicate my reasons for coming aboard.

I started playing around on my first computer (IBM PC Junior) sometime back in the late 80's and yes, it had a crank in the rear to wind it up and start it. I eventually destroyed the file system on that thing and decided to buy my first PC. If I remember correctly, it was an S386 running DOS 5.0 with Windows 3.1 (I still have those install discs.) The first time I took that computer apart to clean it, I realized I could build one myself. So, I milked that computer out until I could no longer upgrade, then I purchased the parts to build my own computer. Since that time, I've built my own systems and try to make sure they last about 10 years.

When I first started getting on the internet, I signed up for a 30 day free account with AOL! Big mistake...they didn't want to let you go after 30 days and kept charging you. I also found that AOL was not really the internet so I opened another account with a local ISP. In those days, the dial-up modem had a whopping 9600 baud rate! I learned a lot through those early days about my computer and it's operating system....Windows 3.1, 98se, XP and now 7.

Since my computers always had multiple users....my family...I seemed to always have issues with malware. It seemed that no matter how I tried to lock them out of certain areas, they always messed up their user accounts. Eventually, I turned one of their computers...an old one of mine....into a Linux system computer (Mandrake). That seemed to stop the malware but I also needed to learn the new operating system. I liked Linux and hence started using Linux in my username.

Anyway, I've learned a few things over the years but I realize how much I still don't know. I've learned some basic malware protection on my own system just by using good computing habits. But, now everyone around me is running into the same issues I came across in the past. It's like email hoaxes, it's just keeps getting passed around by those who don't know and for the most part, don't want to know, until.....Uh Oh, BSOD! So, I've come to bleepingcomputers to see what I can learn and hopefully, jump in and help others with computing problems. I always feel guilty getting on these sights and having someone walk me through the process's without being able to contribute. So bleepingcomputers, here I am, teach me!

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi | GeForceGTX550Ti | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | ASUS M5A99X Evo | Windows 7HE SP1....or something like that!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Welcome!

Interesting read  :thumbup2:  

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users