Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 atomicsocks

atomicsocks

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

I have an old Dell tower running win xp with an LCD monitor, and today the monitor refuses to show anything but a blank white screen. I attempted to adjust the brightness to no effect. From the sounds of my computer it's still booting up properly and the monitor does seem to be getting a signal from the computer since it does that thing where it flicks dark for a second as it boots up. My monitor is as old as the tower. Could it be going bad or possibly a problem with my video card?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yes, it could be either, or neither.  Do you have another monitor that you can test?

#3 atomicsocks

atomicsocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

No, unfortunately not. Is there anything else I can try? What would be needed to fix either of those problems? I may just take it in for repairs.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'd bring it to a friend's house first and connect it to their monitor before bringing it in for service.  That will tell you if the monitor is bad.  Since this is an old machine running XP, it may not be worth fixing.

Other than that, not much you're going to be able to do.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

What does the monitor do if it is powered up with no signal cable connected? Normally if the monitor is operating correctly it will display some sort of "No Signal" indication and may time-out to sleep mode.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 atomicsocks

atomicsocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

It just shows the same blank white display when it's powered up but not connected. I did try plugging the monitor into a friend's laptop with the same result. The monitor is over seven years old. I'm mostly sure it's the monitor but I will try to find someone with a monitor to test the computer to make sure. It's cheaper to just get a new one than to fix this one I guess. Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

OK, then it's usually an internal fault in the LCD panel, which as you say is probably not worth pursuing with the low cost of replacement monitors. That symptom can be a simple repair for a technician to do, but still likely not financially justifiable.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users