Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect to Wi-Fi router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

I posted before, months ago, and could never get it working. I have configured a handful of routers over the years, and after I put in about 9 hours over a few days on this one, I gave up. But alas, my roommates are hounding me again for Wi-Fi, so I'm back.

It's a used D-Link DLI-600L Wi-Fi Router that was still in the box, but used for a few weeks.

Where I am:

I reset the router with the recessed reset button, just to start from scratch.

There is a default password on the bottom of the router, it is "C?nn3ctM3Up" (the second character is not a '?', but either a 0 with a slash, a 6 or an 8)

It is plugged in to my modem. At one point I could plug in to the back of the router and access the internet, I disconnected , then tried to connect through wifi, then was never able to get internet from hardwiring it again. I literally removed the cable, plugged it back in 1 minute later, and it just didn't work. I tried different wires, different laptop, nothing. I tried to connect to it and got "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.1

Try reloading: 192.­168.­0.­1"

Now everytime I plug in to it, I click on Broadband Connection (Win7), and nothing happens. Usually when Im plugged in (in fact every time I ever plugged in to every other router/modem) I see an option to connect. Not this one, not anymore at least.

We are all wired to the cable modem as of now, and the wifi router is broadcasting a signal that we can all see.

I reset the router, tried to connect, it prompts me for a password.

I try all three possibilities from the bottom of the router. Nothing,

I enter "password" as some googling led me to believe this would work. Nothing.

I leave it blank as the guide suggests, it tells me the password should be at least 8 characters.

I just don't know what to do. I already trashed it once, but my roommate nabbed it and now it is back.

Any ideas?

Edited by crybllrd, 09 December 2013 - 08:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

I take it you have reviewed the resources that are available here?

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-600l-wireless-n-150-home-cloud-router

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

I know this may seem rather menial but are you sure that the routers local IP address is 192.168.0.1?

It may say on the back of the router or the box the router came in what the local IP address is.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

I read it's 'admin' as the username and no password. See if entering dlinkrouter in the address bar, see if it connects then. It should bypass the need to enter a password. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 compuease

compuease

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Make sure you are really resetting the router to factory defaults. Unplug the router from power, press and hold the recessed reset button and plug in power while holding the reset for several seconds. Let it go and you should see the router go through a reset cycle (lights flashing in sequence I believe). After it is reset you should be able to login to the router firmware using the login name "admin" and a blank password. The default IP for this router is 192.168.0.1. Then you can setup the SSID and password as you like. Depending on your ISP you may have to enter other things but typically with a cable connection you are good to go. Make sure the Ethernet from the cable modem goes into the WAN port on the router. Direct connected PCs connect to the 4 lan ports, unless they are using wifi of course.

Here is a copy of the manual if you don't have one.

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DIR/DIR%20600/Manual/DIR_600_B_2_Manual_EN_UK.pdf

Edited by compuease, 09 December 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

The only thing I will add to comuease's advice is: always make changes to the router hard wired to it not wireless. If you make a change and the wireless doesn't work you might have to reset it again to get it to work.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users