Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Notebook Battery Charging Issue(Very Odd)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skorbz

skorbz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

With the AC Adapter Plugged in the computer runs fine. In windows, the power icon shows "Plugged in, Not Charging". Ive dealt with this problem before by shutting down, removing battery, rebooting without battery, uninstalling "ACPI Compliant Control Method", shutting down again, replacing battery, then rebooting. When I do this, the computer boots up and the problem seems resolved! The power icon shows "Plugged in and Charging". However, when the battery charges to 99%, it switches back to "Plugged in, Not Charging". I can do this over and over and it will go back and forth between charging and not charging. Ive tried a couple different AC Adapters and I'm at a loss.

I don't think there is a problem with the battery because at 99% I can unplug the AC Adapter and the notebook will stay on for hours on just the battery. This leads me to believe the battery is ok and holding a charge. I've tried SFC scan, CHKDSK, and a number of other things with no resolution.

Any information would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 10 December 2013 - 09:16 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Was the computer bought with Windows 7 on it, or was it downgraded from 8 to 7?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

This is standard to prevent over charging, provided the battery is showing >90% charge.  I don't know the exact percentage that is used to determine if the battery should continue to be charged.  Mine for example is showing not charging at 96%.

In other words, it is working as intended and there is not an issue.

#4 skorbz

skorbz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Was the computer bought with Windows 7 on it, or was it downgraded from 8 to 7?

It still has the original OS on it. It has always been windows 7.

This is standard to prevent over charging, provided the battery is showing >90% charge.  I don't know the exact percentage that is used to determine if the battery should continue to be charged.  Mine for example is showing not charging at 96%.

In other words, it is working as intended and there is not an issue.

Even when its discharged below 90% it never changes back to "Plugged in and Charging". Once it switches to "Plugged in, Not Charging" it never charges again until I reinstall the driver.

Edit: On another notebook I have when the battery is full it says "100% Fully Charged". The Toshiba I'm having issues with never says that.

Edited by skorbz, 09 December 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Then most likely the battery pack is going bad. If you have a local Mr. Battery or Battery Plus in your area, or even a local mom & pop shop, take it in there and have them check to see if the battery pack is shot.

If still under warranty, contact Toshiba repair, to see if they will send you a replacement. There is spar parts warehouse, that I have used for replacement parts. They may have a unit in stock, to replace the one going bad.

I know that with SP1, there was issues with acpi. May still want to check support.Toshiba.com for any updates.

What model for s this computer?

#6 anthonynguyen93

anthonynguyen93

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Sounds like a battery overcharge setting ( or at least is behaving like one ). 

Most computers overcharge settings can be changed in the BIOS but some holds its settings in the OS. 

It sounds more like a software issue than hardware. I would poke around and look for battery settings applications. 

#7 zoo55

zoo55

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

All, I have the same problem as OP.  Nothing wrong with adapter/charger, nothing I can find for software settings, nada.  This just started out of the blue about a month ago.  Anyone have any suggestions where software battery settings might reside?

Toshiba Portege R830

Win 7/64

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users