Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i copy my data from the failing drive to my external drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teevar61

teevar61

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I want to copy my data on my Dell that wont start and I can enter command prompt. So can I copy my data to my external drive??

Thank you for any advice..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

Depending on the accessibility status of the hard drive and presuming that its a non booting Windows (not mentioned), try using a Puppy Linux bootable disc and then connect or mount your external to access and copy your data. The tutorial link would give you all the needed information when  working in Linux OS environment.

Tekken

#3 teevar61

teevar61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

No luck on getting the Dell laptop running........

I will never own another Dell computer of any kind.

And this Dell that I have is soon to go in the trash.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

If you can't get your Dell to power up so as to get Puppy Linux running - and all it takes is power to open the CD / DVD drawer, put the Puppy disc in, close the drawer, shut off the power and switch on again - then all you can do is pull the hard drive out of the computer and slave it to another computer to copy the data.

If this is a laptop hard drive ( 2 1/2 inch type ) and you are going to try to slave it to a desktop ( which typically use 3 1/2 inch drives ) you will need some sort of caddy or adapter to connect it through.

Otherwise, just connect the drive to a spare connection on the motherboard, making sure that none of its electronics can touch the metal case, and copy the data on it to wherever you feel like. An external drive would be the most portable option - you could connect that direct to your next computer - but space on the computer you are slaving your drive to will do temporarily.

At least you will get your data backed up this way.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

Depending on the type of hard drive connector, you should still be able to remove the drive from the dead laptop and attach it via USB. Suggest that you go to support.dell.com with the service tag # to get the specs. For example. SATA to USB, ESATA to USB can usually be found on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sata-to-usb. I have a lot of luck connecting drives to Windows 7 machines and importing data via ESATA to USB port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users