Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Return PC To Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 rstanza

rstanza

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I bought a Pair of HP Towers both Have Wins. 7 Home Premium, I just got Hi-Jacked on this one and trying to restore, I thought one set of recovery disk would cover both units but found out each one needs separated recovery disk? Now since you do not get a Program disk I found my self doing a factory reset? I noticed I do not have a run screen? Is this a sign of a Residual Issue that needs a total reformatting?  Photo below, Thanks for any Guidance, Ron

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   147.29KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2013 - 12:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

1.  Right click the Task bar

2.  Left click Properties

3.  Left click Start Menu tab

4.  Left click Customize button

5.  Scroll down and check the box next to Run command

6.  Press OK button

#3 rstanza

rstanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Quick Fix!! Ron

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

You can also run programs from the Search programs and files box, which is why Run is not shown normally.

#5 rstanza

rstanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thanks, Just Paranoid I Guess it was always there?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Option  3 is to press the Windows Key + R at the same time.

Like magic you have an XP style Run Box -

#7 rstanza

rstanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the reply, I restored to Factory settings, this morning I tried to start in Safe Mode and couldn't get it to go there, I do not have recovery Disk, I've updated all HP, Windows and Norton features several times, all showing current, Ran several Scans only found Tracking Cookies, even ran the deep scrub feature on Norton, so I tried to load the Bootable USB flash drive and it doesn't seem to be working correctly? At this time The PC is working just fine? I'm adding stuff slowly and scanning after each thing last Night I added my email accounts, They say this Virus, "sleeps" Then reactivates and becomes more aggressive? I was going to do a image or Ghost program to an external Drive but surely don't want to transfer the virus also.

Is there another way to scan and see what's controlling the safe start Mode? Thanks Ron

#8 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall - by Fred Langa

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

#9 rstanza

rstanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks I'll give this the once over, most will scan for free then charge to remove is this one of those? Norton is supposed to get back to me soon? Ron

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hi -

Windows 7 Direct Download Links  From SpywareDoc -

Digital River is Microsoft's service provider for e-commerce.

Basically every product that Microsoft sells in their online stores worldwide can be found on the Digital River servers.

These are FREE Genuine Downloads as long as you have a Genuine M/soft Key.

This started as a free special upgrade for Students malnly, and grew from there .............

Since many machines were released without a Reinstall / Recovery DVD, this is the same thing.

Since this is an official download channel, you can be sure to receive setup files that are virus-free, secure, legitimate and untouched.

Downloading the files from Digital River is absolutely legal and completely free of charge.

For the other link Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall  there are conditions.

You need three things before you begin

First, you need access to a standard Win7 installation DVD. Ideally, you have your original setup DVD tucked away somewhere. But if not, it’s perfectly OK to borrow one from a colleague or friend, as long as it’s the same 32- or 64-bit version as your installation. Ideally, it should also match the general type — retail disk or OEM/vendor-supplied disk — as well.

Why is it OK to borrow? A standard Win7 DVD actually contains all editions of Win7. For example, a 32-bit Win7 DVD has all the files for the 32-bit editions of Win7 Home, Win7 Professional, Win7 Ultimate, and so on. Your license key unlocks whichever edition you paid for.

The second thing you need: your original 25-character product key.

The third and final thing you need is a current backup.

Edited by noknojon, 10 December 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#11 rstanza

rstanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

That Sounds Great, Now Do I have to save this on a Disk from a PC that is virus Free or can I download it on the Infected PC? Sorry to be a Pain but This Virus seems to redirect me to Maybe Mirror sites, Or am I getting Too much info?

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hi -

First - If you know that you are already infected, then follow these steps to get cleaned =>

Any other way will keep the infection alive and it will still exist in the fresh install - - - -

If you need assistance, please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide starting at Step #6.

When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

NOTE : If you are unable to complete any step, just post the topic and leave a full description of your problems

Please Use Copy / Paste for your responses, and Do Not Attach them unless your helper requests this.

If Help Bot responds to your topic, please follw his Step #1 so the team will be notified.

Thank You -

#13 rstanza

rstanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Hi -

First - If you know that you are already infected, then follow these steps to get cleaned =>

Any other way will keep the infection alive and it will still exist in the fresh install - - - -

If you need assistance, please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide starting at Step #6.

When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

NOTE : If you are unable to complete any step, just post the topic and leave a full description of your problems

Please Use Copy / Paste for your responses, and Do Not Attach them unless your helper requests this.

If Help Bot responds to your topic, please follw his Step #1 so the team will be notified.

Thank You -

Not to be Thickheaded But from the infected PC?

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

Well -

Is the Windows 7 based unit that we are discussing the one that you are posting from ??

I thought that you posted that you had an infection on the computer ?? YES / NO -

You can "disinfect" or "clean" an infected computer (we do dozens every day).

If I have mis-read this , Very sorry , if the units and operating systems are clean , forget that I offered .........

Thank You -

#15 rstanza

rstanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:20 AM

I'm Posting from My Laptop, My tower is the One Infected, My Tower at Work is also Fine I bought Both Towers same day, I only Made 1 set of Recovery disk, I thought I stated That in First few Post, Sorry I confused the conversation, I'll follow up on The suggestions Given, and get back soon, Thanks Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users