Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card and computer issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sup7

Sup7

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I am buying a new PC in the next day or two.

My two choices are

HP ENVY 14 K037TX Ci7 4500U 4GB 1TB 2GB-GC Win 8 (F0B89PA)

Or

HP Envy 15-J007TU

I finished college around 10years ago and  this is my second pc since. My previous computer was Acer Aspire 4736z. My preference is 14inch computer. But the envy 15 is 15.6 hence the indecision. Being a woman who cannot afford the computer going bad soon I have to make an educated decision.

I will use it mainly for multi media purposes and a small inventory of a shop comprising 2000 units. I will not use it for gaming at all.

However I have a few concerns:

• I have heard from numerous sources that PCs with a graphics card are prone to overheating and burning its components within a year or two of usage. Many have said that it is useless to buy computers with Graphics card as the computers cooling system will always not be enough to keep it nice and cool. And that the card will screw up the surrounding components.

• The 14 inch Envy really appeals to me although its specs do not match up that well with the 15 inch Envy ( but it is not a long way off the i7 version i.e. ) . But I like the compact nature of It as well as the portability. Although the 15.6 Envy looks smaller than most due to its streamline version.

• I would have bought the 14 in a heartbeat if it did not come with a graphics card. It is that that is worrying me. So my question is as you all have probably guessed is does a graphics card really damage a computer in a couple of years if not sooner. Or will it give me a good 4 to 5 years before heating up or going bad.

• As my Acer Aspire has lasted 3 years so far with no issues.

*  P.s. the graphics card in question is :  NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M

Is this graphics good or a moderate performer and is it prone to heating up the computer or is this a high end performer.

Sorry for the queries. But I am at a loss after researching both the computers for days and days and have to make a decision soon. I thought some kind people could maybe give me their expert views on this.

Thanks so much in advance

Sandy

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2013 - 01:14 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Buying New Computer - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sup7

Sup7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

Bump bump many views no replies. Thought I would get some help here

#3 Sup7

Sup7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

Bump bump many views no replies. Thought I would get some help here

#4 SillyMuppet

SillyMuppet

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:49 AM

I don't know who gave you that information that a seperate graphics card is prone to overheating but that is not true.

A GPU (graphics processing unit, it doesn't matter wether it's build into the motherboard or a seperate card) is nothing but a specialized processor for graphics. Every PC has this, without it you wouldn't see anything on the screen.

Becouse a processor does so many things it gets hot, and becouse of that heatsinks are put on top of it. A heatsink is pretty much a big metal block (usualy copper with aluminium) that absords the heat, and then transfers it onto the air.

A fan is mounted ontop to increase the amount of air that blows past it. Fans are mounted inside the computer case as well, so some suck in air from outside the case while others blow out air from inside the case. Laptops tend to only have a fan blowing out, but this is different per model.

See link for a cpu + heatsink:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/AMD_heatsink_and_fan.jpg

Now the downside to such a setup is that dust will slowly clog up the heatsink, which in turn blocks airflow. This increases the temperature of the processor. If nothing is done about this (cleaning it) it can eventualy overheat becouse there is no airflow at all. But this takes years to achieve depending on the environment.

In short there is nothing to worry about, just be sure that you clean it out every now and then. If you are not comfortable doing this usualy a local pc shop can do it for you.

Edited by SillyMuppet, 09 December 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#5 Sup7

Sup7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

I don't know who gave you that information that a seperate graphics card is prone to overheating but that is not true.

A GPU (graphics processing unit, it doesn't matter wether it's build into the motherboard or a seperate card) is nothing but a specialized processor for graphics. Every PC has this, without it you wouldn't see anything on the screen.

Becouse a processor does so many things it gets hot, and becouse of that heatsinks are put on top of it. A heatsink is pretty much a big metal block (usualy copper with aluminium) that absords the heat, and then transfers it onto the air.

A fan is mounted ontop to increase the amount of air that blows past it. Fans are mounted inside the computer case as well, so some suck in air from outside the case while others blow out air from inside the case. Laptops tend to only have a fan blowing out, but this is different per model.

See link for a cpu + heatsink:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/AMD_heatsink_and_fan.jpg

Now the downside to such a setup is that dust will slowly clog up the heatsink, which in turn blocks airflow. This increases the temperature of the processor. If nothing is done about this (cleaning it) it can eventualy overheat becouse there is no airflow at all. But this takes years to achieve depending on the environment.

In short there is nothing to worry about, just be sure that you clean it out every now and then. If you are not comfortable doing this usualy a local pc shop can do it for you.

Thanks for your reply. So many views but no replies was worrying. I need to get this computer soon so I was hungry for information.

your reply was extremely informative and detailed. It cleared up some confusion however I still have some questions.

option A.   HP ENVY 14 K037TX Ci7 4500U - 1.8GHz turbo upto 3.0GHz, 4GB, 1TB, 2GB-GC, 14.0", WIN 8 - SILVER - (F0B89PA)  

Option B  HP ENVY 15-J007TU, Ci7 4700MQ - 2.4GHz turbo upto 3.4GHz, 4GB, 1TB, 15.6", FINGER PRINT, WINDOWS 8 - SILVER - (F0D12PA)  

After viewing the above two computers whic one would you recommend and how are the specs of both. To me the specs of both are good and the price is roughly the same. However the GC complicated the issue.

* You mentioned that with regular cleaning the laptop should perform well. So how often is that yearly, every six months or two years?

* I do live in a very dusty environment although I will mostly be using it indoors. But dust is everywhere.

Based on the specs and the above which one would you get?

Thanks 

#6 SillyMuppet

SillyMuppet

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Specifications wise the HP ENVY 15-J007TU is flatout better then the HP ENVY 14-K037TX. But it is slighty bigger and heavier so it really depends on what you want.

As far as how often dusting it out should be done that really depends. The best way i found atleast is by looking at the idle temperatures (when nothing is happening). The gpu on my desktop for example usualy idles at around 30 degrees celsius when there is barely any dust. But when dust starts to pile up it goes up to and beyond 43 degrees celsius.

You can use this to check on the temperatures: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

The processor of the Envy 15 (http://ark.intel.com/products/75117) can take 100 degrees celcius at the very best, so as long as it doesn't go above 85 degrees celcius during 100% usage there really isn't anything to worry about.

For example, my mother had an old macbook a while back and it took 6 years for the temperatures to get at a critical point.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'll second SillyMuppet.  Your machine needs a graphics card for you to see what is going on.  Laptops are designed so that the heat from the graphics card, and CPU, are kept at proper levels.

You don't link to the models, and I'm too lazy today to search, but you'll watch a touch screen with Windows 8.  Windows 8 is usable without a touchscreen, but much more friendly with one.

Other than that, take a look at the weight difference between the two machines, that is a more real world measurement of how "difficult" to carry a machine will be.  I doubt the inch and a half of screen size adds that much additional weight.

#8 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

The issue here is not weather or not graphics cards damage machines, but weather or not the machine was adequately cooled for a dedicated card. To be fair, you are somewhat correct. There are laptops that are not appropriately cooled, and end up running very hot. The dGPU is only part of that equation though.

If you have the ability to use that machine in person, prep a flash drive, take it with you and see what the machine does. I tend to use the Debris Demo, and HW monitor. Neither need to be installed, and will give you a good idea for how well the cooling was designed for the machine. Start HW Monitor, then fire up Debris. Use the native reoslution of the machine, and crank up the quality. Run Debris in a window so you can watch the temps as it runs. If it holds temps over 90c, then I would consider passing.

If you cannot test yourself, you should look for reviews for that machine. I did a quick search, and that exact model didn't turn up anything, so it may take a bit of digging.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#9 Sup7

Sup7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

As I am on the go I will.reply in detail later.

But now I'm thinking of maybe getting the new MacBook air 13 128 gb version. Any ideas on whether or not it is a good machine compared to the envys listed above although memory wise it is lacking?

#10 Sup7

Sup7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

As I am on the go I will.reply in detail later.

But now I'm thinking of maybe getting the new MacBook air 13 128 gb version. Any ideas on whether or not it is a good machine compared to the envys listed above although memory wise it is lacking?

Edited by Sup7, 10 December 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#11 Sup7

Sup7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Hello anyone with an opinion on the new MacBook air 13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users