Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When to upgrade to Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

I just bought a Dell desktop computer which came loaded with Windows 8. I have not powered it on yet.

I know Microsoft is offering free upgrade to Windows 8.1 to those who are already using Windows 8. My question is should I upgrade to Windows 8.1 right away before transferring my files, folders, and settings from my old computer (I know how to do that) and  starting to use the new machine? Would that make upgrade to Windows 8.1 easier? Or is it better to get used to Windows 8 first (I am jumping from Windows XP to Windows 8) and then upgrade to Windows 8.1? Pros and cons of both will help me decide what I want to do. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions. :)

~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

This is what I did (bought a Lenovo), you will need to download about 300mb of updates windows 8 first before you are offered the 8.1 update, as everything is fresh on your laptop it is the ideal time to upgrade. Be warned the 8.1 update is about 3.2gb in size so you will need a pretty good broadband connection.

The best bit of software to make 8.1 easier to handle is classic shell, give you the option make it more like Windows 7

#3 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi, you might not need ALL those updates but to get Windows 8.1 from the Store, you need the one called KB2871389  it is the one that opens the Store to get 8.1.

My new puter came with 8.0 too and I have refreshed it a couple of times from problems. You might find it easier to go from XP to 8.1 with it's Start button, I also downloaded a free programs called Classic Shell 4.02 which puts the start button back and adds a couple of things. 

It will be a huge change for you but stick with it. My problems were caused by installing too many 32 bit programs right away on the 64 bit system, (yes a lot of them work fine)  so now I install only a couple of things, then set a REstore Point of my own, and work with it a bit before installing anything else.

Just take it slow and IF you do have to REFRESH your computer, you lose what programs you have installed, but NOT your personal files. It is painful but caused by Microsoft thinking the whole world is on a tablet!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'd say do it now.  The big "features" are the Start button back (rather useless but there) and the ability to boot straight to the desktop.

Windows 8 is going to take a bit of getting used to, especially coming from XP.  It will be much easier if you have a touch screen, but not unusable if you don't.

If you feel the need to have the Start button you remember you can use third party programs to regain that functionality.  Start8 by Stardock is supposed to be good and is only $5.  Windows 8.2 is supposed to bring more of the old Start button functionality back, but I haven't seen a release date yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users