Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Download

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OldSalt48

OldSalt48

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

I recently bought a Dell Inspirion B-130 laptop. I am needing to reinstall the XP OS. I have the product key and service tag # but the only download I have found is for 6 floppie disks. I cannot gain access to the internet on the laptop, I think the modem may be fried. I do not have Wi-Fi and when I connect to the modem my IPS supplied it will not work. (I may need to get a different driver) I have downloaded the latest XP updates (SP 1-3 and a Conextant driver) I am presently seeking further info concerning that. When I purchased the laptop it was loaded with virus' and my only alternative was to load the XP OS that came with my desktop before upgrading to 7. The original XP OS was XP Home Edition, the version presently installed is Media Edition. Anyone got an idea as to where I can get a download of XP Home that I can burn to a DVD on my Desktop to install on the laptop? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

See if you have a Restore partition,i think Dell wil charge you for a replacement disk.

http://www.geekpolice.net/t7661-dell-system-recovery-partition-hotkey-instructions-dell-pc-restore

If not i dont think it matters what install disk you use as long as you have the Serial key,so maybe you can borrow one,or get someone to make you a copy.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 09 December 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#3 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

When I held F11 a boot menu appeared listing both the XP Media Edition and the XP Home Edition. When trying to boot in the Home Edition I get error Unable to run <windows root> system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt. I have found several web sites that give ways to fix this (most are for software). My question is how can I download this file to a flash drive and then install to the laptop when I cannot access the OS where the file is corrupt? I am still unsure why I cannot access the net. I have ran diagnostics on the modem installed in the laptop, they check out. I have the latest drivers. I connect to the modem my ISP (BrightHouse) supplied (WebStar DCP2100R) and connected my phone line, I get message "Connected" but evidently I am not. I can continue running Media Edition, my main problem is accessing the net. I've tried several things but none have worked. I am presently running Dell Diagnostis on the laptop which may take another hour or so. I am wide open for any ideas.

#4 Silverbirch1

Silverbirch1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Have you called your ISP and had them reset your modem from their end? I had been having that same problem as well. Says I'm connected, but no connection. Not even wirelessly.  So, I called my ISP, they would reset, I'd jump thru all the hoops, and nothing worked, so they'd set up an appointment for a tech to come over in the next day or 2. A few hours later, for no reason at all, the internet would work again. So, I canceled the appt. I went thru this 3 times and they finally decided it was a problem with WinXP, noting that others had had a similar problem, including their XP expert. So, when it happened again, I decided to do a repair install of XP and have been pulling my hair out since. I was missing a great many files the first time I tried to do a repair install, and there was no repair option.

I started out using a different disk than my original, which had the wrong product key written on the outside of the sleeve. It wouldn't accept the key. Perhaps because it was an upgrade version and the key was for a retail full version.

I ran all the diagnostics also, with no luck. I can say that there were some "missing or corrupted files", including ntfx and catroot2.  You also might get a copy of Memtest86 (download free) and run that overnight to make sure it's not your RAM, as this is a possibility. The other possibility is that you have 1 or more bad sectors on the hard drive. You can go into the Recovery Console and copy/replace the missing/corrupted file from the cd without needing the product key.

Because you don't have internet access on either system, you will have to take a blank cd, or a thumb drive to a friend and download the needed files. I would not advise spending money on diagnostic software, tho. To use the cd or thumb drive, you might need to go into your bios and reset your boot sequence to allow the cd rom or thumb drive to be accessed first.

Good Luck :)

E.T.

Hope that helps.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Do you have a friend or a relative with a Windows XP CD?

if you had loaded it up with Windows 7, then the virus would have been gone.

Can you do me a favor, and bring up a command prompt and enter the following commands:

ping 127.0.0.1

then

ipconfig /all

And take a screen shot of the output and save the image via going to MS Paint then Edit and Paste then save it and transfer it to your desktop, and then upload it here.

Also can you sign into your computer via safe mode with networking and see if you can access the net that way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users