Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Fans Run But Computer Won't Post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 printboy67

printboy67

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

I hope that some one can help me with this problem. I have a friends CPU here and it won't run.

Emachines W1640
AMD 1.4 Atholon

The power supply was just replaced and the system seems to start but all that happens is the HDD will spin a little and the fans run. do display on the monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What I have done so far,

remove MOBO battery, no luck.

PLEASE HELP>:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Go into the BIOS and make sure it's recognized the hard drive. Some BIOS's need to hunt for the drive manually. Make sure it sees it. Are you hearing any beeps? Usually, one beep means everything's OK. Multiple beeps of any kind indicate a problem, and it's different for each type of BIOS.

Sometimes, when a power supply fails, it takes other hardware with it, like memory, or a CD-Rom. Often, a computer won't start because of something like bad memory or a bad drive. Disconnecting the drive will allow the computer to boot. If the computer won't boot with the drive in it, the drive/memory/whatever will have to be replaced.

You can check the memory with a homemade CD of Memtest 86 or Microsoft Memory Checker after the computer is booting. The computer can be booted from the disk and does not require the operating system. Bad memory may allow the computer to run, but will cause errors which can even mess up the hard drive.

The usual method of finding a bad part is to disconnect everything except what's necessary to run - video, motherboard, hard drive, memory, then try booting, then connect one thing at a time. I've personally had better luck removing one thing at a time, but of course, that wouldn't work if there was more than one bad part.

#3 printboy67

printboy67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:42 AM

Well Herk, It does not even post, no beeps no bells no buzzers. I am going to give him the bad news that the MOBO is fried. I will try the parts trick, but I think the MOBO is toasted. Should be able to find a good board rather cheap and save him some money.

Thanks for the info.

Printboy67

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

If it won't POST Memtest won't run.

Standard operating procedure is to remove the mobo from its case, set it on a _non-conductive_ surface, and try to boot it with only the following hooked up: 1 stick of RAM; CPU, heatsink, and fan; monitor and video card (if not built in); keyboard; and power suppy. This can get awkward, but it's a way to be sure the mobo isn't shorting out anywhere against the metal case. You don't need any drives hooked up for the board to POST. It will just halt with an error when it gets to the point where it's looking for a drive.

If it won't POST, check Ram, vid card and keyboard in another machine. If they are good, you're down to CPU or mobo. Test if possible by substitution. The Athlon 1.4 should work in any Socket A motherboard. Just remember Athlons and Durons will not survive even a few seconds without a HS/F unit attached.

#5 printboy67

printboy67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:40 PM

Thanks dave but we have decided to replace the MOBO and go from there. I appreciate the time you took to respond. I do have another problem that I am going to post in a few minutes about my laptop.

Printboy67 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users