Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/Malware Scan stuck in temp internet folder for 10+ hours

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Codered

Codered

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

A family member brought me thier computer because they were getting the FBI scam virus. I used Malwarebytes and AVG to scan the computer and those found/deleted 7 major viruses, Rogue and trojan stuff. I have experienced the FBI scam virus on one of my own pc's, but I never saw anything (on this computer) indicating that same issue.

However, I used SpyHunter 4 to scan the computer and it took roughly 40 hours to complete the scan and scaned nearly 8 million files. I didn't think anything of it at the time because I wasn't familar with the program.

That completed and it found 979 threats, but all were cookie and adware related. I couldnt remove them either without purchasing a version of SpyHunter.

So I used MSE and Malwarebytes last night. When I went back to the pc this morning, MSE was only 10% completed (after 8 hours and 700k files scaned). I took notice to what file/folder was currently being scanned.

It was C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

Now I have a feeling that possibly the temp internet files are not being delete and instead being saved, which is resulting in insane scan times.

Im no expert, but having a scan last for 40 hours and scanning 8 million files seems abnormal to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS)[/color][/url].
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
For a more detailed explanation, read How an Antivirus Program Works.

To speed up a scan, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out temporary files, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one and do not use the computer during the scan.

Automated Disk Cleanup Tools which can be used before performing a scan:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Codered

Codered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

To speed up a scan, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out temporary files, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one and do not use the computer during the scan.

I actually ignored all the "threats" that spyhunter found. They seemed innocent enough. I uninstalled spy hunter as you suggested.

I used CCleaner to clear out any of my temp files. I also attempted to use TFC, but it goes unresponsive after a few seconds. It shows that X amount of files were removed, but the scan never completes. Are they still removed if the scan never completes?

I am still having my original problem of the system scans being inside the temporary internet folder. I ran quick scans with both malwarebytes and MSE, they completed in under 5 minutes. However, I am currently using MSE to run a full scan and yet again it has been inside the location C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\...  It has been there for an hour already and the completion percentage of the scan looks to be 10%.

In the above quote you suggested running quick scans. Do you think that would be enough security and forget running full scans all together? Idk many people who would have the patience for a computer to take 15+ hours for a virus scan to be completed.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is pre-configured to do a once-a-week Quick Scan.

The quick scan will look for viruses in all the places they are most likely to hide. It’s a good choice when you’re just checking on the health of your PC...if something makes you think your PC is infected with a virus or spyware, we recommend a full scan. Your computer will be a little slower while it is running, but the full scan looks everywhere for possible problems.

Getting started with Microsoft Security Essentials

Generally there are three types of scans offered by most anti-virus and anti-malware programs:
  • Quick Scan only checks the areas of your computer (folders/files most) likely to contain malware...the most prevalent places where malware hides. Quick scans will vary depending on the security engine but they generally take about 15-30 minutes so they can be performed daily.
  • Full Scan is much more comprehensive because it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) so it can take several hours. Most Full Scans can be scheduled to run late at night when not using the computer so you can perform a scan a weekly scan without having to monitor it.
  • Custom Scan allows the user to select any files and folders on the hard drive to be scanned.
In most cases when performing routine security checks, only a Quick Scan is needed. A Full Scan is recommended for heavily infected systems.

#5 Codered

Codered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

So since the temporary internet folder isn't causing a severe issue with the system, should I just ignore that files seem to be stored in there rather than being deleted?

The MSE full scan is still running right now and not surprisingly in the temp internet folder still. Going on 6 hours and the progress bar hasn't moved from 10%. 

Thanks for the help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

If you used CCleaner, then there shouldn't be much of anything left in the Temporary Internet Files folder. You may want to manually navigate to that folder and double check. Just so you know a lot of MSE users have made similar complaints at the Microsoft Community forums in regards to that folder. There doesn't seem to be a universal solution that works for everyone.

#7 Codered

Codered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I tried to navigate to the folder, but I get stuck at the systemprofile folder. I get a message that says "you dont have permission to access the folder. you can click continue to get permanent access", but it doesnt open. seems to get stuck loading the folder and the contents. 

I also tried to get to the folder through CMD, but I get stuck at the sysWOW64 folder. When i do "cd \config" from the SysWOW64 folder, it tells me that the config folder doesnt exist. it also doesnt show when I look in the directory of the syswow64.

Its not just MSE that I am having the problem with, I also used Malwarebyes and am having the same problem.

I appreciate the help though. Thanks for your time.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

This issue will require further investigation and a more comprehensive look at your system. Many of the tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (repairing/removing) all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.

#9 Codered

Codered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

I get an error when trying to install dds.

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computers systems information to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program and then contact the software publisher".

The OS that is installed in Windows 7 64 bit

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

"If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next."

If you cannot produce any of the required logs, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

The tool will not work on all infected and late model computers -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 15 December 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#11 Codered

Codered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I appreciate all the assistance. I have made a post on this topic in the removal section

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517570/syswow64-virus-virus-scans-take-20-hours-to-complete/

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Now that you have made a new topic I will close this one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users