Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Downgrade to 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spy7722

spy7722

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Have a PC with windows 8 on it, I wanted to downgrade it to Windows 7 since windows 8 is not very appealing to me. When i used my windows 7 pro installation disk it started installing normally and all of a sudden installation failed, my windows 7 disk is legit and I didn't think there should be any problems so i tired it again and same thing now i can no longer boot up into windows 8 and cannot install windows 7. I am stuck in a screen that gives me Windows Setup rollback and Windows 8 option neither of them work and send me to a screen displaying the picture attached.

Status 0x000000f and i cannot do anything from there.

Please help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Most likely the bios is in Secure boot & Uefi mode. Personally! Just install something like Star8, to take you directly to the desktop.

You may find out, depending on the manufacturer, not all drivers are available for Windows 7, which means that you will have more headaches and problems, than you realize.

#3 spy7722

spy7722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thank you for your reply. After researching for a few hours i saw that you are right, i was not aware of this new features like secure boot and Uefi mode my problm still persists i cannot boot into anything, i cannot install anything the computer is just stuck there and i do not know how to proceed. i will look at star8 and see if that helps out and proceed from there. If not please reccommend more options.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

You need to disable UEFI & Secure boot in the bios, if you wish to install anything other than 8 on the computer.

8.1 gives you the desktop option, but not the standard All Programs menu, like Start8 and other programs do. Stardock Software does package Metro Mix with it, which works really well for running Metro Apps on the desktop.

If you really need to run 7 on that machine, make sure you disable UEFI & Secure Boot in the bios, before hand.

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

There is also a free program called Classic Shell that provides the traditional Start button and other 7-like features.

#6 spy7722

spy7722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Thank you, I went into the BIOS and disabled Secure Boot; However I did not see any options to disable EUFI. Also i had already tried installing Windows 7 Pro without disabling these two features and i suppose this is why the PC is jacked up now. I will try to re-install after i disable these 2 features and post results.

#7 spy7722

spy7722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

....Ok i finally disabled EUFI and secure boot everything is set to legacy and finally booting off the Windows 7 Disk but my new problem when i get the partition selection i cannot select any. It says:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of GPT partition style.

Stuck again, any help or ideas are appreciated.

#8 spy7722

spy7722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Ok i finally got it. After doing some more reading i went back and Re-Enabled EUFI and disabled Legacy completely then had to delete all the partitions except for the recovery one (kept that one just in case) and finally after having only 2 partitions left I was allowed to select one and install Win7 on this PC, this was a nightmare but i learned something and I hope someone else can look at this and avoid the problems i ran into, so in retrospective this is what i had to do to downgrade from windows 8 to win7 on my PC.

Disable Secure Boot and EUFI before attempting installation (by not doing this is how i got into this problems)

Once i received the partition is GPT style error I went back and Re-Enabled EUFI and completely disabled Legacy in order to continue

and to get rid of the partitions not in order error i deleted all current partitions except for the recovery one which i kept just in case. 

After doing all this i was able to downgrade to windows 7. 

Thanks everyone for their comments and help in this issue, very appreciated.

#9 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hope it was worth all the effort.  I didn't care much for Win 8 at first either, but was able to tweak it enough to be acceptable.  Seemed the safest thing to do, considering all the problems people have with downgrading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users