Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power problems on vaio vpcf126fm

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cbaxter182

cbaxter182

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hello all,

I have had a vaio vpcf126fm (Hardware configuration PCG-81114L) for 3 years now and recently I had a problem with the power not making it to the computer. I bought a new charger and found that it was the DC jack. I purchased a new DC jack and replaced it but when the charger was plugged in it began to beep from the adapter and it made a chirping noise. Thinking i got a defective DC jack I bought yet another one and installed it with the same result. Just last night I was showing my roommate the problem and I attempted to power on the computer and miraculously it worked so I know the DC jack is good. Unfortunately it was still in pieces and I needed to put it back together. When I removed the power cord I got a small spark where I'm assuming it grounded out. The mobo is well grounded and the DC jack itsself is grounded. There is no way that I can think of (or anyone else I know for that matter) that I would be grounding out somewhere else. Upon attempting it again I had no power and the adapter was beeping again... Can anyone shed some light on this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbaxter182

cbaxter182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Anybody? lol

#3 cbaxter182

cbaxter182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I really need help. Anybody?

#4 cbaxter182

cbaxter182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Ok folks here we go... I actually figured this one out. The stock DC jack that came with the laptop had a ground that was connected by a plate that screwed into the frame of the computer. The new jack that was delivered didn't have the ground directly on the jack. It was actually a wire that shot out of the harness and screwed into the same spot as the plate. I didn't notice this small difference when I went to install the new jack and I screwed the plate back on over top of the new ground. This caused the power to ground and spark and stop power from the adapter. I removed the plate and kept the new ground screwed in and now there are no problems.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Good Job!

Edited by Roodo, 13 December 2013 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users