Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to either get or build a rackmounted pc, help please?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

Hey guys I would prefer a 2 rack space unit, I don't need that much firepower, I would need a mobo with a decent speed Intel processor with minimum requirements being Intel* processor, Core Duo 1.6 GHz or better and just 3 gb's ram, what are my best options, should I purchase a loaded rackmounted pc or build one myself? I would prefer to purchase one but any ideas where I would get the best deal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

I know that Newegg, TigerDirect and Amazon sell them. Usually the rackmount systems are aimed at being used as servers.

The question You need to think about beyond the CPU, memory would be Do You need to put PCI or PCI Express cards into the case. You will find that the size case You indicate, which sounds like a 2U will have limited Expansion card and possibly drive space.

One Other Drawback is that if the power supply goes bad You will not be able to run to a computer store for a replacement.

And You will be paying a premium for a rackmount computer compared to a Desktop computer for the same specifications.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. You usually find a rackmount unit to be noisier. In My experience the 1U servers I assembled for others all sounded like a Jet engine when powered on and got quieter after the P.O.S.T. quieting down to a almost Tolerable noise level. That is because in a 1U or 2U the fans are smaller so they run faster creating more noise.

Edited by rotor123, 08 December 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info and sorry for not explaining properly in my OP, I only need this for music playback and watching videos online on my wall monitor so I would only need what a regular pc has in it and nothing extra. Regarding the noise since my purpose is for music, the music should cover any fan noise unless it's really loud. I will look around for some stuff and get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users