Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program files and new system installations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JoeWatson

JoeWatson

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

I was going to uninstall win pro sp3  and install win 8 until i had a lot posts about this on a topic which I sttarted on this forum. The majority of these posts were from people who have had bad experiences with win 8 so I have decided on win 7.

I've never installed a new operating system and I would like to know what I can do about all my current programs, of which there are a lot. I assume I can't just tranfer them to win 7 so I would be very grateful if someone could give me the procedure I should follow..My folders and files which are on one hard drive are also large - at present 230GB.

Any other advice which you consider appropriate would also be very welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

Joe, me again.  I'm going to watch your post.  I have an XP pro SP3 and feel there's not a lot going for it since it apparently can't be upgraded or changed or relied on after April 8, 2014.  Hopefully you'll find out a lot more for all of us. 

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:20 AM

Before you begin, please download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to determine if your system is ready for Windows 7.

Post any issues it detects that could impact Windows 7 on your computer also.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#4 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

Piriform URL below;

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/krHTM8u40LAtaJCbYkvcMTn

The widoes 7 advisor report shows 3 requirments passed plus:

1. Windows Aero support Your current graphics adapter won't support the Windows Aero user interface. If you want to experience the benefits of Windows Aero, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if an upgrade is available.

2. Microsoft WSE 3.0
version 3.0.5305.0
Microsoft Corporation Not compatible This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.

3. Virtualization technology not supported Your PC does not support hardware assisted virtualization technology.

There were other reference re compatibility of devices which could be looked at later.

My mouse is connected to my computer via a powered Belkin USB hub if that makes a difference.

Thank you

#5 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

Joe:

Several points. First, and foremost, there is no direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7. XP will be a clean, bare-metal install. Some have said you can upgrade to Vista then to Win 7. This might work, but I can see a lot of potential incompatibility and conflict problems going that way. You're better off stripping your C drive and doing a clean install of Win 7. You will need to get Windows 7 drivers for that motherboard, and you will have to reinstall all applications. Good time to weed out the junk you don't really need.

Secondly, the report was correct in that the onboard G41 graphics "accelerator" is pretty slow. It won't support Aero, or much beyond a browser. There are several inexpensive video cards available, such as the NVidia Gforce 8500 or 9400 cards, among many others, for under $100US. Please note that you must disable the onboard video, in BIOS setup, if you use a video card.

Third, you are only using one stick of 4GB memory. The mobo will support two sticks, and I recommend you add the second (identical) stick . That will effectively double your memory bandwidth, by enabling bank interleave. If you want to stay with 32-bit Windows (your machine supports 64-bit), replace the single 4GB stick with two, identical, 2GB sticks. You will only see 3.5GB in Windows Properties, but this is normal. The top 500MB is shadowed by system addresses.

Finally, the motherboard in that system is rapidly approaching it's use-by date. In the XP world it was fine. In the Windows 7 world it's near obsolete. It, and the CPU, should be replaced as soon as you can manage it.

Good luck.

#6 JoeWatson

JoeWatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

@daynel

Many thanks for your help and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic