Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with mouse pointer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoeWatson

JoeWatson

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:58 AM

I am having an intermittent problem with my mouse pointer. The mouse is aMicrosoft Optical 100. For some reason or other the pointer just stays staionary when I boot up and somntimes it's when i'm on another application or the internet.

I know there are proably 100 reasons why this is happening but I would be grateful if you could give me some advice of the most common causes of this so that I could investigate it.

I'm assuming it's something to do with  my computer and not a faulty mouse as it is intermittent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

Joe, I am not a Moderator or even very knowledgeable, but intermittent I am familiar with although I know there's millions of reasons.  My own laptop did and does as yours seems to be doing. After a time I realized it was my anti-virus.  Every time it updated, downloaded, installed, which it does off and on all day and night, I know there's a period I cannot use my laptop at all.  Nothing responds as it ought to.  When the anti-virus is done (mine is AVG Free) everything is perfect again.  So I live with it.  I'd rather know the AVG is working.   I guess I should have prefaced this with FWIW.  Good luck

I've learned one period of weirdness is when I boot up.  That begins it.  Everytime.

Edited by MissLizz, 08 December 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

There are two thing you can do with regard to your mouse. The first is to check for updated drivers since you say it is an MS IntelliMouse. The second is to try a different mouse. No need to buy one just to try it, just borrow one.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Uninstall the current mouse drivers...before trying to install new ones.  In fact, I would just let Windows reinstall the drivers automatically, which it should do after a reboot.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users