Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing Automatic Repair + BSoD restart loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sundial_MC

Sundial_MC

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hello,

A few days ago I had to force-shutdown my laptop (HP ENVY Dv6) because it froze, and after restarting it it showed a screen with the hp logo, and under it "Preparing Automatic Repair". After a few seconds the BSoD appeared, at 0% (showed it for about a 1/10th of a second) and turned black. Then it shows on the bottom left corner "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu", then goes on again, showing the logo, "Preparing Automatic Repair", BSoD, repeat, forever.

I'm fully prepared to factory reset the PC in worst case scenario. I have a Recovery USB which I have created from another laptop after this problem emerged. I tried booting with it, and when I selected "Refresh PC" it says "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.", and when I selected "Reset PC" it says "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing." I do not have any Restore points or images for recovery, unfortunately. Selecting "Automatic Repair" makes it attempt, but shortly after it says that the repair failed, and gives me two options to Shut down PC, or go back to troubleshooting options. I can open the Command Prompt using this, I don't know if that can be of any help though.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

After some reading a post on M$ Answers, it looks like your partitions are mixed up in the boot record. 1. Did you enable bitlocker drive encryption? 2. Does your recovery USB have advanced recovery options, Specifically can you get to the command prompt? 3. Have you tried F11 to boot in to the computers recovery partition?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Sundial_MC

Sundial_MC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

1. I don't know what "bitlocker drive encryption" is, so I'm guessing, no.

2. Yes, I can go to advanced recovery options, and yes, to the command prompt.

3. pressing F11 to have those options.. I've tried, but it does not work.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Are you able to get into HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI by pressing F2 during boot? If you can reach the hardware diagnostics perform the startup repair. if you are unable to reach the Hardware Diagnostics.

1. Boot the computer with the recovery USB.
  2. At the command prompt type diskpart.
  3. At the diskpart command prompt type list disk
  4. Verify your hard disk is drive 0
  5. Type Select disk 0 (or the correct letter for your hard drive)
  6. Next type list partition
  7. Depending on if you have the MSR partition it should list Winre, System, Windows, Recovery

Let me know what the output of List partition is.

Edited:

Credit: Technet, Microsoft Deplyoment

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 December 2013 - 05:29 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users