Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell xps8100 - need ethernet card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

, Dell XPS8100 windows 7. Came home the other night and internet was a no go. Traced it to this computer since other computers are still internet functional. I tried rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling driver, system restore - still no go. In device manager it states that it's functioning, but it isn't. I figured I would install a new Ethernet card and turn off onboard card. Thinking a pci Ethernet card (I prefer wired). Any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

Do you see any message saying limited or no connectivity over your nework icon in the task bar, is there a red x over the icon, or does it just not show up?

If you open command prompt, but clicking start and typing "cmd" without the quotation marks and type "ipconfig" in the command prompt box that opens what is listed next to IPv4 or IPv6 address.

With a little more info we can find out if a hardware replacement will solve the issue or not.

#3 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

I reattached a cables and fired the computer up so I could get the info. After letting system fully boot, I was puzzled by the missing "red X" on the network icon... I clicked on my FIREFOX icon and I HAVE INTERNET !!!   Thank you for responding Trakeen, I would have tossed a new part at this computer if you hadn't chimed in and had me fire up the computer for the info...  I know I'm in the wrong forum for this question, but can you point me in the direction of system info where the log files are so I can see why I had that issue. Maybe system security shut down port due to breach?   And much thanks again Trakeen!  

#4 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

If you look under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel you'll see the Event Viewer.  Inside there your most likely spot to look would be under System.

Best I can really tell you without looking at the system.

Edited by Trakeen, 08 December 2013 - 11:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users